What is a good and safe option for sagging skin around the jawline and under the chin?

Hi, I'm a 44 year old female & beginning to see loosening around my jawline & chin. I don't have have wrinkles, am thin, & my skin looks great except for mild sagging. My derm recommends CO2 Matrix but too many horror stories with it, also with Radiesse. What would be a good option?

Correcting Neck Skin

+1
Skin tightening with Ultherapy is the procedure we’ve seen the most success with. Ultherapy is the only FDA-approved non-invasive treatment for lifting the skin on the neck, chin and brow. Ultherapy uses focused ultrasound to stimulate collagen deep within the skin without downtime. With just one Ultherapy treatment, the lifting process is initiated, but the effect will build gradually over the course of two to three months, as new, stronger collagen and elastin fibers are created. CO2 Matrix we have as well, but reserve this laser for textural issues of the skin, not so much for lifting.

Sagging neck

+1
Outside of face/neck lifts, filler combined with energy based devices can help loose skin in the neck. A filler, such as Radiesse, can help replace volume and bone loss that occurs in thin people. It can be placed in front of the ear, the temples, and over the cheek bone to help "lift" the skin in the neck. Some placed over the chin also provides a stronger, natural looking framework for neck skin. CO2 can be safe in capable hands, but I find the neck unpredictable. Radio frequency and ultrasound devices can help tighten skin visually and microscopically. These options, while temporary, can delay the need for surgery in young patients. I also believe these temporary measures induce collagen production, which is a long term benefit.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Correcting a sagging jawline

+1
It is most likely that you need a surgical lift to correct the sagging you see.  Review of photographs or consultation in person would be needed to give more specific advice but in general skin resurfacing procedures such as laser do not improve facial contours.  Fillers can provide a modest lift in some cases if the problem is primarily volume loss.  A consultation in person with a surgeon experienced in facial rejuvenation is the best place to start.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for sagging skin around jawline and under chin

+1
Pictures would be helpful to give you the best advice, but there are several possible treatment options to help with sagging skin around the jawline and under the chin.  A face/neck lift is one option, but without seeing you or pictures of you, it's impossible to know if you might be a good candidate for this procedure or not.  Fillers placed in the cheek area can sometimes give a slight lift and help with issues along the jaw and under the chin but would not lift as much as doing a facelift.  One other option might be Ultherapy.  I have not performed this treatment, but it may be able to give a bit of tightening along the jawline and under the chin.  Again, the results would not be as dramatic as with a facelift, but if your issue is subtle, then it may be good enough.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saggy face

+1
Facelift by a good board certified plastic surgeon
willget rid of saggy face with jowles
laser will not tighten jowles

Sagging Skin in Younger People

+1
There is only one way to correct sagging skin and that is to remove the excess. This requires surgery. Radiesse and other fillers can fill areas where you have lost subcutaneous tissue. This will, in the right person, occasionally lift some tissue if the sagging is due purely to the loss of the subcutaneous tissue. This has to be done by someone very experienced or you could wind up worse than you are now. See an expert injector at ExpertInjector.com. Usually, however, especially with sagging in the neck, the best option is to do a face and neck lift. At your age most traditional facelifts are significantly too extensive and do not truly elevate the tissues to where they belong. The most reasonable method for someone your age is a modification of the MACS Lift. This limits the incision and the dissection of the tissues and truly elevates the tissues, providing a natural rejuvenation of the face and neck. It also has a more rapid recovery. See TodaysFacelift.com for more information on a modified MACS Lift.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon