How can you help flatten scar tissue or keloid / hypertrophic scars? (photo)

I was wondering if there is anything else to help soften & flatten high raised burn scars on my face from 2nd & 3rd degree burns, if so please help. The scar is 1 year & 3 months old and I've had skin grafts but it didn't work. Now its just scar tissue that is thick & very noticeable.

How can you help flatten scar tissue or keloid / hypertrophic scars?

+1
I am sorry to read that you've had such severe facial scarring. Treatment of this type of scarring is challenging for all skin types. Usually multiple modalities are required to soften and improve the appearance of these scars. This can include injectable treatments, laser resurfacing, focused scar revision (in some cases) as well as massage to break down and soften the scar tissue. You will need to seek out someone with ALOT of scar treatment experience. You can also expect the process of improving (not removing) your scars to take 1-3 years. The good news is that most of these scars can usually be improved to some degree.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Burn scars and treatment

+1
Hi, I am sorry to read about your burns. There is recent laser technology that is being used to help soften and remodel burn scars. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist with formal fellowship training in lasers. With a series of treatments these can be softened, and blended significantly.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon