Need help deciding what surgery I need? (Photo)

Hi! I'm a 27 year old mother of 2. I currently weigh 180 and I am 5 '6. I have lost 55 lbs in the past 15 months and I have a consult for a tummy tuck April 16th. I was wondering which procedure would be best for my body shape? A standard tummy tuck or extended? Both my babies weighed over 8lbs and my stomach muscles have never been the same! I am hoping to get rid of the hanging portion of my stomach and if possible the sides as well. Thank you in advance!

Type of tt

+3
Hi Jenniebrooke. 
Thank you for your question.  After examining your photos I believe that a lower body lift would give you the best result. There is sagging of your buttocks with skin wrinkling at the junction of the buttock and posterior thigh. The procedure gives you a tt with mons lift, lateral thigh lift and buttock lift. If possible I would also suggest trying to lose about 10- 20 more pounds. 
Seek out an experienced ps who does post weight loss body contouring. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Need help deciding what surgery I need

+2
As long as you find a board certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you should be fine and they will help you come to this decision based mostly on your physical exam and health. Keep in mind all my comments below are purely based on your photos and consist of general information.
At your age you still have very good skin and you definitely do not need an "extended" procedure at least based on the photos you sent. Obviously a physical exam is better to be able to tell for sure but I would be surprised. The one photo where you are holding your skin may indicate you have some loss of elasticity but that will be determined at the time of the consult.
One thing I can advise you about though is that you should definitely consider a lipoabdominoplasty as opposed to traditional technique. Lipoabdominoplasty was invented By Dr. Saldanha in Brazil and he has shown definitively that it is safer and aesthetically superior to the traditional method. The basic difference is that in the older method the entire skin flap of the upper abdomen is undermined thus cutting off blood supply and so the flap not only is not suctioned and remains thicker, but it also has less blood supply so it is also more at risk for ischemia. In the Saldanha technique the flap is extensively suctioned which thins it out more allowing it to get a better aesthetic result but yet it has intact blood supply through collaterals and still allows the skin to slide down after the resection of excess skin in the lower abdomen.  Therefore it is less risky in terms of hematoma, seroma, and skin loss. So, it is safer and looks better. Another issue you should ask your surgeon about is whether or not you need your muscles repaired. We used to do them with every case but have found that many people don't need that which greatly reduces recovery time. I realize you had big babies so yo might need the repair and this will be determined at consult. Also be sure he uses a block after surgery if he does the muscles so you will be comfortable. As far as any additional lipocontouring I have preference for ultrasonic assisted (Vaser) due to it's specificity for fat whereas regular liposuction tears out structural skin elements. Also keep in mind that smart lipo is a laser that is also not specific for fat and does not discriminate what it burns (including skin).
Last of all be safe. You have two little ones and you have to ask yourself if you want the last person between you and eternity for the three or four hours this will take to be just a nurse anesthetist doing your anesthesia in a freestanding clinic somewhere remote from the hospital. I insist on the maximal safety for such cases as yours ( with a tummy tuck) as body contouring cases like these are higher risk than most other cosmetic procedures and so I feel an MD anesthesiologist ( a physician) is critical as well as the surgery being done in a hospital operating room with all the back up facilities right down the hall. The lower cost of flying without all the back up just isn't worth it. In addition it is not very comfortable to have to go home right after such a procedure and having the opportunity to spend the night in the hospital will full nursing care is a great benefit.   I hope this helps.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and TT

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

Based on them, I believe that an extended tummy tuck with liposuction to the waist, upper and lower back and fat grafting in to buttocks, will definitely enhance your shape and give you the results you're looking for.

Dr. Campos.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
Where a standard tummy tuck ends and an extended  begins is all relative. Congratulations on losing the weight.  Adding some lipo to the tummy tuck will help. You will look great.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Need help deciding what surgery I need?

+1
My over the internet opinion and review of posted photos is an extended tummy tuck option. Good Luck..// 

Overweight Seeking Tummy Tuck

+1
Congratulations on your 55 lb. weight loss. What you need to do is to continue your weight loss for at least another 30-40 lbs. before seeking a consultation for a tummy tuck. If the excess fat in the gluteal and thigh regions does not shrink significantly, you may need an extended procedure or significant ancillary liposuction. However, you may also lose the need for any extra procedure with the further weight loss. Do not waste you or the surgeon's time now but wait until you are less than 145 lbs. and have been stable for a few months.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+1
Looking at your picture : You have stretch marks along with a skin overhang and moderate diastasis.
You will be a good candidate for a full  abdominoplasty with liposuction of your hips and flanks. 
You still need to be evaluated in person. Optimizing your weight will help you get a better outcome from your surgery on the long run. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Tummy tuck and lipo of hips

+1
You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction of the hips/flanks (love handles). This will rejuvenate your midsection and make a dramatic difference.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Need help deciding what surgery I need?

+1
A tummy tuck will remove loose skin and tighten the muscles to produce a nice, flat, tight abdomen.  I would liposuction the sides and back to produce a much smaller waist as well.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

What kind of tummy tuck

+1
  • Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep it up.
  • The photos suggest you need at least an extended tummy tuck and maybe a full body lift.
  • Surgery is fine if you are at your final weight. 
  • If you are still losing weight, get to your goal before having surgery. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD