help ... low cut bras for after surgery

Hello .... I am having my surgery for breast implants in 3 weeks.  I understand that for 6 weeks you have to wear a sports bra.  If have a night out planned within that 6 weeks can I wear a low cut, front closure, no-wire sports type bra?  So that way I can wear something cute to show my cleavage a bit?  Or do i need to focus on wearing high collared shirts for the first 6 weeks? Thanks :o)

Bras after breast augmentation

+2

I'm not surprised by the variety of responses to this question as there is really no scientific answer and it's possible to get away with a lot or to do things that don't really help but are believed to help. We saw this with compression after liposuction in the early years of that procedure (and still see it to some extent). 

The way to think of breast implant surgery is to think of placing an orthopedic implant. The implant must be sized properly, positioned properly, and healed in position properly. Then it shouldn't need any support or restrictions. Breast implants also need to be sized properly, positioned properly, filled properly (if saline), and healed in the proper position. This takes two weeks of healing and the bra is an elastic splint to help hold the inframammary crease and the implant in the proper position for healing. After that it shouldn't matter what you wear although the breast tissue in terms of look and feel is still resolving over the first six weeks or so just as it does after any surgical procedure. 

I put patients in an elastic bra continuously for the first week and nearly continuously for the second week and then leave it up to the patient. This is mostly for the elastic strap in the area just below the inframammary crease which has to heal in place and for the containment of the implant/breast in the proper position until capsule formation at about 10 days. It's a myth that implants "drop" or need elastic across the upper pole of the breast. The "settling" effect is differential swelling/stiffness in the upper and lower poles of the breast, not implant movement. If the implant was properly sized and positioned with adequate release of the tissues in the lower pole (including the pectoralis muscle edge), it just has to heal there followed by some resolution of tissue reaction. It doesn't make sense to put an implant in one place and hope it ends up somewhere else or or to allow it to get out of position during the healing process. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bra after surgery

+2

The type of bra you are instructed to wear after surgery will vary with the feelings of the surgeon who performs your surgery.  In my opinion, A sports bra as you know is designed to be compressive and therefore may distort the shape of the breast whereas a bar with cups tends to support the shape of the breast that is desirable after surgery.  I therefore do not recommend a tight sports bra after surgery but rather a bra with cups typically an underwire bra since this gives more support. 

What you wear for one night six weeks after surgery should not be a problem in my opinion. 

Thank you for your question, do follow the direction of your plastic surgeon with regard to all post operative instructions not just what type of bra to wear.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Bra after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Your surgeon will guide you in the process of bra selection after surgery. Generally, you will find that your plan for a no wire sports type ( soft, non-irritating)  should not be a problem.

Varying opinions based on your PS

+1

You will find that there are many answers in regards to this question depending on your PS and his or her own opinion.  I personally prefer my patients to wear a bra with cups vs. a tight, compressive sports bra but ultimately I believe you should follow the instructions given by your PS.  Be honest and let them know exactly what you are concerned about and I'm sure your surgeon will be willing to work with you in coming up with a solution for your special occasion.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a bra after breast augmentation

+1

The instructions that I give my patients is to wear a comfortable, supportive, non-underwire bra for 5-6 weeks after surgery. I see no problem with wearing a low-cut, front closure, no-wire type sports bra that shows a little cleavage within a few weeks of surgery but make sure that it is OK with your surgeon. Good luck with your surgery!

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Bras after surgery

+1

In my practice, although I place patients in bras, I do it for comfort and nothing more.  Yous houdl ask your surgeon how he feels.

You Can Wear a Normal Bra After Breast Augmentation

+1

Patients frequently ask me what kind of bra they will have to wear after breast augmentation. I prefer a cupped bra with good support and front closure. I tell my patients to wear this night and day for 2 weeks to help the breast implants settle in the proper position. They can remove the bra to shower and launder the bra. If there is no skin numbness, I allow an underwire bra, or whatever bra the patient desires, at 2 weeks. I do not generally like sports bras the first month after surgery as they can flatten the implants.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

help ... low cut bras for after surgery

+1

I generally tell my patients to avoid an underwire bra until we tell them but that if they are going to an event and a sports bra just wont do (fashion first!!!), then wear any kind of bra they want for that evening and then go back to the non-wire thing... so for my patients, take the night off (and the bra) and enjoy!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bras after breast augmentation

+1

Actually many do not use a compressive bra after breast augmentation. We find a soft cup bra to keep the implant still in the pocket, and an upper breast band helpful the first two weeks. Thereafter an underwire will work if comfortable, and some will not use a bra at all. It takes several weeks for the breast envelope and breast implant to work together as one. A nice bra for a night out is OK, though remember that the breast will change so buy only what you need short term.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com