I Have a Chicken Pox Scar on the Middle of my Forehead, It is Deep (Basically a Dent)? (photo)

i have several chicken pox scars but the one on the middle of my forehead really bothers me as people always make remarks about it and i feel very self conscious about it as it cant be covered with make up because it is a dent. I would like to get it completely removed and was wondering what procedure would give the best result and how much it would cost in england? Thank you.

Chicken Pox Scars Can Respond Well To A Combination Of Subcision & Collagen Production Stimulating Volumizers

+1

There are a number of methods for improving chicken pox scars. Through the years I have found the subcision, which takes only minutes to perform, to provide relatively rapid and gratifying and long-term improvement.

Subcision, a procedure, performed under local anesthetic, that entails using a sharp needle-like device is first inserted to break up the scarred, heavily fibrotic tissue that makes up the base of the scar. Immediately following, a small amount of volumizing material is injected into the potential space just created by the prior procedure. An immediate lifting is seen and the area can be smoothed flush with the surface resulting in the immediate, gratifying improvement seen. As an added plus, six to eight weeks later, neocollagenesis (new collagen formation) occurs in response to both the subcision procedure and the presence of the volumizer--contributing to a  much longer lasting improvement. The entire procedure takes no more than five minutes to perform, requires no scalpel cutting or stitches and entails no significant downtime.

Alternatively, an entirely surgical approach, which entails some downtime, may be used. Following local anesthesiia, the pock scar is "punched" out, using a cookie-cutter like instrument known as a punch and then stitched together. This is then followed in eight to twelve weeks by a technique known as manual scarabrasion, in which sterilized sandpaper is essentially used to blend the edges of the wound, allowing the area to eventually heal with little evidence of scarring. 

Excision of a chicken pox scar on the forehead

+1

Surgical scar excision of the chicken pox scar is an excellent option to reduce the appearance of your chicken pox scar. 

I would perform this procedure under local anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Options to help with depressed scar on forehead

+1

I would say that you have two options to improve the depressed chicken pox scar on your forehead.  You could try have a filler injected under the scar to raise it, which should make it less noticeable.  There are different types of fillers that could be used, but these most likely would not give you permanent results.  The other method that could be used would be surgically removing the scar.  Basically, you would be trading up for a better scar that would be less noticeable.  This would give you a permanent result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon