Really Bad Acne Scarring?

My husband had really bad acne most of his life and finally took accutane when he was thirty two. Unfortunately he now is left with very bad scarring. Deep pitting and uneven skin tones. He did get the laser treatments( which were five hundred dollars a pop) and he did three of them. It actually made the scars look worse! Is there anything that actually works?

Hello

+1

If you’re trying to make your acne scars better you need to have laser treatment, depending on how deep they are or what kind of scars you are dealing with. You have a few different options. There is Profractional laser, micro laser peel or even a face lift to stretch the skin and help improve the deeper scars. Good luck..

Treatment for Acne Scars

+1

Thank you for your question. An evaluation with a Board Certified Dermatologist and/or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has the capability to do both laser and incisional removal of scars would be the best way to start.  Acne scarring is very difficult to correct so avoid expecting one treatment to completely correct all the scarring.  This process could take 3-8 treatments to correct a significant level.  Have realistic expectations and do not expect 100% improvement, instead more like 60-80% improvement at most.  I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Effective Treatments for Acne Scarring

+1

I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in treating acne scarring. There are several different types of treatment that can be effective for acne scarring, the selection of which typically depends on the skin type and type of acne scars present. More effective than lasers are injectable fillers, electrosurgery, and/or punch excision. I am sure the right doctor can improve your husband's acne scars for a reasonable cost. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD