Need Help with Agespots?

I have age spots on my face and they r spreading I have tried everything they ar getting worse. What can i do I am ashamed of my face.

Agespots getting worse - skin care products & sun exposure

+2

Please do not be ashamed of your face. I have treated thousands of men and women with age spots and I have never seen a case of age spots that could not be significantly corrected or cured. So be patient with yourself and your skin. Help is on the way and you don’t’ have spend a fortune!

First of all, I want you to understand that your skin is producing these age spots as a reaction to exposure to UV light over time…either from sun, tanning booths or other sources. But we usually do not see the damaging effects of tanning and UV exposure for decades after the fact…as we age. That is why they are called “age spots.” And, if you don’t do something to stop and reverse this process, it only gets worse as time goes on. 

The good news is that by following a few simple steps, your skin can become healthier and your “age spots” will go away. That is why my motto is: Beautiful Skin is Healthy Skin®.

Here’s what to do to loose those age spots: 

STEP ONE:  
Starting TODAY, stop ALL tanning and limit sun exposure. (Some people think a tan will camouflage their age spots; but tanning only makes the problem worse, as explained above.)

STEP TWO:
Obtain these products:   
1. Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
2. Topical Vitamin A
3. Topical Vitamin C
4. Glycolic Exfoliating Wash
5. Glycolic Acid Resurfacing Peel
6. Hydroquinone (optional)

STEP THREE:
Follow this protocol: 
A. Wear a board spectrum sunscreen of SPF 15 or more EVERY DAY. That means just like you would not walk out of your home without brushing your teeth, from now on, do not leave your home without applying sunscreen (even if it is cloudy, even if you are going out for only a minute). Note: If you sweat or wipe your face during the day, you will need to reapply sun protection.
B. Every night before you go to sleep, wash your face with a glycolic containing exfoliating cleanser or wash. After cleansing, apply a Vitamin A containing product, such as Tretinoin, Retin A or Renova (by prescription only) or a good quality Retinol crème (over the counter).
C. Every morning, gently cleanse your face and before applying your sunscreen apply a topical Vitamin C. The best Vitamin C products contain pure L Ascorbic acid and are cold stored.
D. Once a day, or as tolerated, apply a glycolic containing resurfacing product per directions.
E. Once a day, if desired, apply hydroquinone 4% (by prescription only) or hydroquinone 2% (over the counter), directly onto the spots, as directed. Hydroquinone is a powerful bleaching agent.

There are several physician brands including my own, MorrowMD, which offer high quality products for this protocol. The higher the quality of product, the better and faster they will work. You should start seeing results in as little as two weeks.

NOTE: You don’t need to spend a fortune on skin care products. You should be able to purchase all the products mentioned above for under $300. 

STEP FOUR:
Aesthetician Services (optional)

For faster and better results, get bi-monthly aesthetician performed microdermbrasion and dermaplaning treatments. I suggest going to an aesthetician who works under the supervision of a dermatologist. These aestheticians respect professional boundaries and have easy access to expert physician guidance. Be sure to tell the aesthetician about the products you are using so she/he will treat your skin appropriately.

STEP FIVE:
Physician Consultation & Treatment (optional)

For the best and fastest results, consult a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon who specializes in skin rejuvenation. She or he will prescribe the prescription products suggested above. He or she will also recommend various skin peel procedures or laser treatments to quickly and effectively rejuvenate your skin and help take away the “age spots.” I personally prefer skin peels for skin rejuvenation and age spot removal vs. lasers because in my experience skin peels do more, work faster, are less painful and are more cost effective. Lasers are better used to remove red, vascular related spots and for tattoo removal.

CAUTION:
If any of your age spots bleed or form scabs from time to time or if a spot is flat, has an odd shape or border, contains various colors, changes color or shape, I urge you to make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist for a skin cancer screening.

CONCLUSION:
Everything I have shared with you is based on my more than 30 years of experience treating UV - sun damaged skin. If you follow the steps above, your age spots will begin to disappear plus your skin will look younger and more beautiful. I hope to hear good news about your results!

Palm Desert Dermatologist

Treating age spots

+2

I'd advise meeting with your dermatologist to assess the nature and type of skin lesions on your face, and to ensure there are no skin cancers or pre-cancers which are often hiding amongst age spots. There is very little that is over the counter that will help with age spots - your dermatologist can offer several effective treatment options including liquid nitrogen, chemical peeling, and lasers. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

How to treat age spots

+1
I agree you need a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to diagnose the age spots and make certain that there is no precancerous lesions.

If the age spots are benign treatment is usually started with micro-dermabrasion, Retin-A, Hydroquinone for pigment, and vitamin C for the anti-inflammatory effect.

after several months of this regimen if significant aging changes are still present then IPL or photo facial treatments can be added or in severe cases Fractional ablative Erbium laser treatments can be done

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Help with Age Spots Treatment

+1

It is so easy to treat age spots that you should not be ashamed or alarmed.  The best treatment now is Fraxel for these age spots, especially if you have many on your face.  It is easily tolerated with little down time.  The most important thing to remember is that after you get treatment, you should always use a high SPF since sun spots can return.  You don't want to invest all of this time and money in something that will return after you have made such a great effort to treat them.  Please find an experienced dermatologist in your area for these treatments.

Michele S. Green, MD

Age Spots

+1

Facial age spots are a result of the type of skin you have and the amount of sun exposure you have had over your lifetime. You  will need a specialized home cream and multiple Limelight IPL treatments. Wear a good sunscreen every day and applying it properly are the keys to get your face better.

Have a consultation with a doctor that has IPL and knows about this type of situation.

David Ellis MD FRCSC

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Help With Agespots

+1

Age spots are caused by exposure to UV rays from the sun. They are due to high levels of melanin secretion as a form of protection.

However, there are ways to break up the pigment and the cells that hold it. This can be done with lasers. Your body actually carries away these remains to clear your skin.

Since you are noticing that they are “spreading” and “getting worse,” these spots should certainly be examined by a dermatologist in case they are manifestations of cancerous or precancerous lesions.

Here is an example of a patient who received treatment for age spots with Fraxel Dual.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

How do you treat age spots

+1

There are many variations of what people call "age spots". When you start noticing things like this it's important to visit a dermatologist for a proper evaluation. While some areas can improve with creams or lotions or actually, just using sunscreen! daily, many spots can lead to dangers like skin cancer if they aren't treated properly by trained doctors. When you start noticing different types of spots appearing, book an appointment with your dermatologist, and then go at least yearly. There are options for treatment, but first the essence of what these "age spots" are need to be determined.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Age spots are easily treated by your derm doc.

+1

Age spots can be frozen off or burned off or peeled off and look great once they have healed but you need to see your dermatologist to get it done. OTC treatments are worthless as are bleaching creams.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of Age Spots

+1

Most "age" spots are actually caused by sun exposure, rather than getting older. The best option is to recognize the relation to sun exposure and protect yourself from further sun damage. Use a broad-spectrum (i.e. screens out UVA and UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and apply it liberally and frequently. Wear a broad-brimmed hat when you can and try to do your outdoor activities earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon. For treatment of spots already present, see a board-certified dermatologist. There are many options available, dependent upon the dermatologist's particular expertise and factors related to you, your skin type or exactly what those "age spots" are. The doctor might use liquid nitrogen or a chemical peel or a laser to remove the lesions. They might use a bleaching cream (possibly in combination with a retinoid) to hasten disappearance of the pigmented lesions or to prevent new ones from developing. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Many options for

+1

There are many types of spots that my patients refer to as "age spots".  These include lentigos, or "sunspots", that occur with sun damage over the years.  They are flat brown lesions that are best treated by intense pulsed light (IPL) in my experience.  Chemical peels are also quite effective and usually less expensive.  Both methods typically require 2-3 treatment sessions for optimal improvement.  A topical skin care regimen is necessary maximize and maintain your results including daily sunscreen (SPF > 30 with zinc) and a topical bleaching product (hydroquinone or non-hydroquinone formulation).  Some patients choose to have IPL regularly every 6 months or so which is also very effective in keeping the spots under control. 

Another lesion sometimes referred to as an "age spot" is seborrheic keratosis.  These are raised, brown, crusty or waxy spots that respond well to liquid nitrogen treatment, laser resurfacing, and sometimes chemical peels. 

The best treatment in your particular case will depend on your level of skin pigmentation and the type of lesion being treated.  Find a Dermatologist who has all of the options available as described above so they can tailor the best plan for you.

Michael Contreras, MD
Englewood Dermatologist