Age 17 DDD Breasts. What Can I Do?

I am 17 years old about 5'5 to 5'4 and weigh about 135 pounds, I have DDD size breast and i have very bad back problems, doctors tell me to strengthen my back but that does not do much for me. I have considered breast reduction for a while but everyone says that it is pointless because my boobs will grow back... what is your opinion doctors?

Breast reduction for a DDD

+1

You sound like an excellent cadidate for a breast reduction.  We have many younger patients in our practice that do excellent with this type of surgery.  Most patients can feel the relief immediately in their back and shoulders, and many say they even breath better with the extra weight off of their chests.  I would recommend going in for a consultation with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  In regards to the breasts growing back, you will continue to lose and gain weight in your breasts just as you do now.  Meaning, if you gain 30 pounds after surgery, your breasts will get larger.  I hope this helps you!

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Almost always best to wait until breasts have stopped growing to do breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Occasionally, when the physical or psychological symptoms are so severe, we do a breast reduction early, knowing that the girl will probably need a touch up later.  But if you can hold out, it is better to wait a couple of years.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
I would suggest that you learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.
Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast reduction improves back pain and can dramatically improve quality of life.

+1

With a DDD cup size, you clearly need a breast reduction.  Nothing else will do the job.  Fortunately you are still young.  I recommend a vertical technique because the shape is best with this technique and you avoid the anchor scar.  I've attached a link to this section of my website so you can have a look.  Yes, it is possible that your breasts will get bigger, although you are 17, so this is likely to be minimal.  You can always return for a secondary reduction if necessary later on.  This operation is likely to have a major impact on the quality of your life.  But choose your surgeon carefully and be sure to look at many before and after photos so you are comfortable.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon