Second Opinion Om Recommended Breast Size?

Height:4'11" Weight:93lbs BWD:9.5cm Age:22yrs Old My Doc Suggests 230cc and I Want 260cc Silicone Implants.

My doctor says he will do 260cc high profile on me,but suggest 230cc or 234cc high profile.

30cc difference is negligible in most patients

+1

Hi there-

In the vast majority of women, the difference of 30cc you are asking about would produce a negligible difference in appearance.

The bigger question is why you are focusing on the size of the implant and not on the final appearance you desire as a goal. Choose an appearance, not an implant.

30 cc differnce in implants

+1

30 cc difference is not alot, although in smaller implants obviously it is a higher percentage of the total volume then in a larger implant.

A 30cc difference is not detectable and makes no difference!

+1

You should understand that 30cc equals 2 tablespoons of volume. Over an entire breast (even a small one in a small woman such as you), this difference is totally undetectable! Really!

Try on each of the two sizes (but have the nurse hand them to you without knowing which is which), and I suspect you have less a difference than you already have in your breasts pre-op. Even if the difference is (barely) noticeable, it will be BARELY noticeable.

I know patients get hung up on these choices, so I generally tell them to choose the larger size, so I would actually agree with you on this one. The most common regret, and the most common reason for re-operation after breast augmentation is "They are too small."

Still, your surgeon may have his own reason for this recommendation, and he HAS done this more often than you have. But it's your body, your money, and your satisfaction, so those factors all carry weight as well. Talk if over with your surgeon and decide on a plan you can both live with (and who pays for what if you aren't happy). For more information on choosing your implants, click on the web reference link below. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants In Small Women

+1

I think I should redirect this conversation from aesthetic outcome (3D imaging, cup sizes), and bring it back to a much more important concept, the quality of results and the avoidance of complications.  Unfortunately, you are very petite and your breast base is expectedly narrow, making you a less than an ideal patient for any significant augmentation. I would heed your surgeons desire for an intermediate (moderate or moderate plus) profile implant of 230cc, and avoid pushing him into a larger, higher profiled implant. By heeding his advice, you are likely reducing your risk of complications substantially, and improving the chance for a long term good outcome.  There is little margin for error in someone like you, and certain complications can create permanent problems: flattening of the rib cage, attenuated, over-expanded breast tissue, and rippling. So keep it small, and just say 'no' to HP!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

3D imaging helps you decide best implant size

+1

It seems like any of the implants you mentioned should work well for you . The difference between a 260cc and 234 cc implant is negligible. I like to use the Vectra 3D system so that you can visualize your result in your own body with different implants before you undergo the procedure. This empowers the patient to make a better decision.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Recommendation for breast implant size

+1

There is no "right" answer for the correct implant size.  The answer depends on many factors, including:

1. the desired size and look of the patient
  2. the eveness, thickness, shape, etc. of the breast and chest
  3. the experience and expertise of the surgeon

I agree that the implant profile or shape plays a minor role; it is more about matching the appropriate implant with the patient.

Your height, weight and base diameter suggest that you have a tiny frame.  It is not possible to make specific suggestions about exact implants and size without examining you.  If you have a good relatiopnship with your plastic surgeon, it makes sense to follow their guidance.  The alternative is to seek another consultation.

Good Luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Choosing your Breast Implant Size

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.