Workouts Before / After Saline Implants, Under Muscle

i work out about 2-3x a week with weights and cardio. having saline implants under muscle. When can i restart with my excercise and will i have problems with them being under muscle. how long before surgery should i stop working out? i am 5feet3 and wight 133 size at present 34b thinking of 375-400cc implant.

Working out after breast augmentation: How soon is too early?

+3

Breast augmentation is a very easy procedure to recover from. When the implant is placed under the muscle, the more irritation of the muscle the more the muscle will be in spasm and the more the breast implant will be stuck under the muscle. Allow at least 4 weeks for any chest exercises, but cardio should be ok after 2 weeks. Swimming, ironically is one of the most common exercises which cause muscle discomfort after this operation. Make sure you have enough support on your new breasts and NSAIDs should be fine before and after each work out.

I hope this helps and great question!

Exercise Guidelines After Breast Augmentation

+3

Every plastic surgeon has their own preference for after surgery exercise protocols after breast augmentation. I think everyone would agree that working out up the day before surgery is perfectly fine. After surgery there will be some variance and you should abide by what your plastic surgeon  recommends. My protocol is arm stretching for the first week only. The second week one can do light cardio or walking/jogging if it feels comfortable. By the third week one can start light weight training and running again. One should be back to a completely normal workout routinue  by their fourth week after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Augmentation And Working out?

+2

Exercise up to the time of surgery is not a problem.

I would suggest obtaining clearance from your plastic surgeon before beginning strenuous workout regimen. It has been my experience that lifting/ exercises that concentrate on the pectoralis major muscle  can be a cause of gradual implant displacement (lateral). Therefore, I would suggest you avoid these exercises as much as possible.

Exercise after BA

+2

In our practice I allow people to begin light cardio at 2 weeks, full cardio at 3 weeks, and resume upper body weights and activity at 4 weeks. Every practice is different so make sure to bring up your concerns with the surgeon and follow their instructions.  As for the implants being under the muscle, that is the standard position for this surgery,  and it will not effect your exercise. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Working Out

+2

You can weight train and do cardio up a week or so of surgery. I recommend not training chest beforehand. Stretch that muscle out prior to surgery. After surgery, you are looking at about 6 weeks to return to your routine. Go back slow and ease into it!

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Exercise and placement of breast implant

+2

you can work out up until the day of surgery, but after surgery my policy is brisk walking up until one month, then you can ease back into regular activity.

If your preference is for implant placement below the muscle, you must be willing to accept that the breast shape will change anytime there is flexion of the chest wall muscles. this isn't necessarily bad- you just need to realize it will happen.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Workouts Before/After Submuscular Saline Implants

+2

There is no problem with you working out (weights and cardio) before your augmentation; in fact, you coulkd workout the day before your sugery, if you like.  Post-op is a different story.  I personally would want you wait 3-4 weeks before the cardio and possibly as long as 6 weeks before weight training.  This is a question that should be addressed to your operating surgeon.

John Whitt, MD

Under muscle implants and working out: what you need to know

+2

With the most commonly used method for placing implants under the muscle (dual-plane technique) the muscle is cut where it attaches to the rib so some healing time is required. Your surgeon can advise you regarding that according to their own judgment. Athletic patients are often thin so under muscle placement is necessary for coverage of the implant, but there are some important trade-offs. A potentially significant one is what are called animation deformities, which result from the muscle being cut where it then heals into the scar capsule around the implant. A split muscle technique may be a option to consider as it minimizes animation problems while still covering the upper part of the implant.

Richard Baxter, MD

Post Operative Instructions

+2

Every surgeon has his or her own post-operative instructions which are best answered by your specific surgeon. I advise my patients to avoid strenuous activity for 6 weeks following surgery, however, walking is always encouraged. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

When to work out after saline breast implants under the muscle.

+1

Thank you for your question. I do not believe there is any limitation which would require you to stop working out before a day or 2 before your breast augmentation surgery.

After surgery you must follow the advice of the plastic surgeon who is performing your breast augmentation.

Generally speaking after sub-muscular breast augmentation with either saline or silicone implants, I recommend that my patients avoid chest and pectoralis exercises and heavy weight lifting for at least 4 weeks, although running and cardio can be done after 2-3 weeks.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS