Can I Do Heavy Weight Training 8 Weeks Post Op?

I’m a male and a former hockey player/bodybuilder. I had an umbilical hernia repaired and abdominoplasty to fix diastasis. I want to get back into hard training again and I’ll be discussing this with my doctor next week. I’m only eight weeks post op and I know I have to start out very easy. There are a few exercises that I want to be able to do again but I’m not sure about if/when. Pullovers, these do stretch the abs. Leg curls, worried about lying face down on the machine. Squats Deadlifts

Weights following tummy tuck

+1
Usually it is safe to begin full exercise eight weeks following a tummy tuck. Most males have not had muscle work as part of the procedure so it is less of an issue for them. Check with your surgeon, of course. Good luck.

Weight training after hernia repair and abdominoplasty

+1

In my practice, I treat a lot of bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts, and a number of patients come to me for treatment of their umbilical hernias because my background working with bodybuilders.  In my patients, I allow them to begin cardio a week after surgery and start weight training two weeks afterwards, using light weights and avoiding any increase in intra-abdominal pressure or doing a valsalva maneuver.  I don't permit heavy training for six weeks after a hernia repair or diastasis repair, but at that point, I do allow gradual increase in training intensity, avoiding any painful maneuvers.  You should speak with your surgeon, but I would imagine that you should be fine to start training at this point.  Good luck.

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

+1

This question should be directed to your surgeon who knows you, knows what was done, and has followed your recovery. 

Usually by 6 weeks the incisions have gained 90% of the healing strength that they will attain, and that is the time that restrictions begin to be lifted. That may not be long enough for exercises that stretch the limits of strength. 

All the best. 

Heavy Weight Lifting After Tummy Tuck And Hernia Repair

+1

Given the type of exercise that you are contemplating you should wait a minimum of 3 months after a tummy tuck and hernia repair if not longer. You have invested too much effort up to this point to develop a recurrent hernia.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Exercising after abdominal surgery

+1

At 8 weeks you should be sufficiently healed to get back to normal exercises.  I would start off slow and gradually build your way back to pre-surgery shape.  Always ask your surgeon for his advice since he is in the best position to understand your surgical procedure and recovery.