Heavy Weight Around Waist After Tummy Tuck?

I am a police officer and wear a duty belt with a 9 lb gun on one side and approximately 9 lbs of equipment on the other side. The belt rest just above my hips. How long after my surgery can I go back to wearing my duty equipment?

Post tummy tuck restrictions

+1

Thanks for the question.

I usually allow 4 weeks to allow patients to return to normal activity, which would be including carrying 18 lbs of weight around your waist.  However, you must be careful that your belt is not too tight and erodes the incision line or injures the flap.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

In terms of resuming your activity,  most patients are able to get back to a desk job in about 2 weeks.  However, no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks after your surgery.  You need to give time for all your incisions to heal.  During this 5-6 week period, most surgeons will recommend some form of compression garments to help minimize your postop swelling.  You should start seeing your final results starting week 4 after surgery.   Talk to your plastic surgeon to learn more about his/her specific postoperative care protocol.  Hope this helps!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weight around Belly/Hips after a Tummy Tuck

+1

I usually tell my patients wait 4 weeks for normal activity, do not lift anything heavier than 25 lbs and no isolated abdominal excercises for 6 weeks..

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Normally hips do not bother as anterior belly by internal suture reasons

+1

Dear Official: after  a TT or combined with lypo usually upper hips do not  bother as lower belly because for  internal sutures  than in the hips do not  exsists, so  you may wear your duty belt as soon as 3  weeks later your surgery

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Heavy weight

+1

I have had several police officers have a tummy tuck and go back to regular duty with all their equipment at around four weeks.  You will have satisfactory healing by that time in most cases.  If you have the ability to take more time certainly that is ideal so you will be as close to 100% when you return to full duty.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon