Does a Heavy Fall or Tug Cause Ruptures?

Does a heavy fall or any pulling/tugging cause ruptures to a 2yr old sillicon gel implant?

Body aching with a sore feeling in my breasts especially on the left. I thought it'll go away after a week but it didn't. 

Breast Implant Rupture?

+2

Unlikely  that the mechanism of trauma that you describe  will generate enough force to rupture silicone gel implants. However, based on your description of symptoms it would be in your best interest to be seen and evaluated by your plastic surgeon. If in doubt an MRI study may be necessary to definitively rule out rupture.

Keep in mind that online consultation is a poor substitute for in person examination.

Trauma and implant rupture

+1

If you took a "big hit" or blow to your chest, it is quite possible that the implant is ruptured.  You should get examined by your surgeon, you may need an MRI as well if they are silicone.

I agree

+1

I agree .... a tug or fall shouldn't cause a rupture of an implant... more likely a tear in the capsule and that also would require a very substantial impact ... We have learned this over the years by trying to rupture, through closed techniques, a capsule that has contracted.   Squeezing a sample implant in your doctor's office will let you know just how strong these implants are today.  I hope that addresses your concerns. 

regards   

Alan Weiss, MD

Unlikely, implants are very sturdy

+1

The situation you have described should not cause the rapture of the implant. It usually takes a lot of force to cause serious damage. You probably feel sore just from the fall. You should see you surgeon for detailed evaluation and more likely he will recommend the MRI if he suspects the damage. Constant discomfort, long term  pain and change in the breast shape can be a sign  of some serious complication.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Unlikely but anything is possible

+1

It is remarkable what you can do to an implant and have it remain intact.  MRI may be able to detect the rupture if present but even these are not 100%.  Its likely that the tissue around the implant has been bruised and the source of your discomfort.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Ruptures

+1

A rupture, or hernia, can be caused by a vigorous or violent movement, tug, fall, or lifting.  It may also be caused by pregnancy, coughing, constipation, where a weakness or fresh surgical site exists.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Does a Heavy Fall or Tug Cause Ruptures?Answer:

+1

It would have to be a pretty good fall or hit to break a gel implant…but it does happen! Tugging or pulling would be far less likely, almost impossible…I had one patient catch her feet on a mountainside climb and fall forward downhill directly on her breast…and that did cause a rupture! She was very bruised as well…

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implant rupture ,deflation, complications of implants

+1

Newer implants are stronger than ever but eveything is possible:

1. consider getting an ultrasound
  2. you may have disrupted just the capsule which needs to heal
  3. newer implants use a cohesive gel so there are less wories of migration
  4. if there are still questions after the u/s you may need an MRI

Trauma causing rupture

+1
Pulling or tugging should not cause implant rupture. However, a heavy fall might; it would depend on the velocity, degree and impact of the fall. A car accident or direct assault to the chest could traumatized the implant. Unlikely things can happen even though the statistics are to the contrary. If the pain persists, you should see your plastic surgeon. Hope you have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Does a fall or tug cause breast implant rupture?

+1

Not likely. Sounds like you had a serious tumble, but it is very unlikely that it was extreme enough to cause implant to rupture. Car accidents, heavy objects falling directly on breast can cause this. I actually had a patient who had a large TV fall on her chest and ruptured one of her implants. Talk about a freak accident.

Keep an eye on them and see if your breasts change shape. This could be an indication that one of them ruptured. If you want to make certain, you could always ask your physician to order an imaging test to confirm. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon