Heavy Arms? (photo)

I am 5'6 215 pounds. I increased my activity to lose weight (jogging) and changed my diet. I have lost 20 pounds. My arms are large and not proportional. I can't fit my arms in a jacket that fits the rest of me. My upper arm is larger than most men actually. It is pretty embarrassing. Even when I was 170 pounds, I had the same problem. Do you recommend brachioplasty. Signed, Large Arms in Georgia

Arm lift for heavy arms

+1

Thank you for your question about an arm lift (brachioplasty).

• Liposuction alone will give you improvement. The deltoid area must be included.
  • A combined liposuction with brachioplasty will give you your best result.
  • After surgery, you should feel in proportion to your size and jackets will fit better.
  • This is quite a common problem - you are likely to be very happy with the result.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Brachioplasty for Large Arms

+1

Large arms may benefit from both liposuction and upper arm lift or brachioplasty.  Once weight loss goals have been achieved, extended arm lift will produce the best possible result.

Arm lipo or lift?

+1

Thanks for sharing and the photos. I would say that you are borderline for lift versus liposuction. In other words, liposuction will give you some improvement - like reducing the volume of the arms, but there maybe some looseness in the skin remaining.  The arm lift will reduce the size and give you tighter arms with an incision. A better situation is for you to continue losing weight, then when the arm is more deflated, then have a lift. This will result in a smaller volume and a tighter arm, if you can accomplish the volume loss on your own. These are all options to consider when discussing your arms with a board certified plastic surgeon. Thanks and good luck, Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Heavy Arms?

+1

Yes you are a candidate for brachioplasty. Seek in person opinions from boarded PSs in your area or city. 

Good Candidate for Brachioplasty (Armlifting)?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Congratulations on your weight loss plus far; when you have achieved a long-term stable weight, it is very likely that you will benefit from arm lifting surgery. When the time is right seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons; ask to see lots of examples of that work. Learn about the potential risk/complications associated with procedure and ask lots of questions about scarring…

Good candidate for arm lift surgery (brachioplasty)

+1

From your photograph it appears that you would be a good candidate for a brachioplasty with liposuction of the upper arms.  If you draw a line between the biceps and the triceps and more than 50% of the arm is below this line then a brachioplasty is appropriate.   If you are planning on losing another 30 pounds or so with diet and exercise it would be best for your to lose this weight first before considering the surgery.

Brachioplasty Or Arm Lift Candidate

+1

I think that patients obtain their best results with brachioplasty when the primary problem is excess skin.  However, if you arms actually looked the same when you weighed 45 pounds less, you probably are a candidate if you can accept potential scar which can be noticeable.

John Whitt, MD

Heavy Arms

+1

Thank you for your question and for the attached photograph. it appears from the photo and from your comments that you would be a good candidate for a full brachioplasty. I would hold off until you have reached your desired weight, as that will assure you a best chance a nice outcome.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.