Will Heavier Women Get Good Results from Slimlipo?

I'm 5'0 and size 18. Many of the photo's I'm seeing are women who have a little fat to take out. Much of my fat is in the lower abdomen area. Will I see much results and what should I expect? During my consult, the Dr. said my tummy was soft so I should be a good canditate.

SmartLipo in the Obese Patient

+2

Regarding: "Will Heavier Women Get Good Results from Slimlipo?
I'm 5'0 and size 18. Many of the photo's I'm seeing are women who have a little fat to take out. Much of my fat is in the lower abdomen area. Will I see much results and what should I expect? During my consult, the Dr. said my tummy was soft so I should be a good canditate
"

I fully agree with Dr. Rand. Anyone can get liposuction as long as they understand its capabilities and its limitations. Liposuction is a finishing, body contouring procedure. It is NOT a weight reduction operations. The MOST fat that can be safely removed in an out patient liposuction procedure is around 10 pounds. This is not likely to make a difference in the appearance of someone who is significantly overweight.

SmartLipo literally cooks the fat under the skin with a hot laser fiber before it is removed by suction. The procedure has NOT been shown in a single, independent (non company sponsored) scientific study to be better than regular Tumescent liposuction or VASER liposuction. But, this 150,000 dollar hype lipo laser machines MUST be paid for, hence the many ads, the preposterous claims and promises and the too good to be true deals.

In short - no liposuction method will yield great results in obese women and SmartLipo is NOT going to either. I would seek at least two other Plastic surgeons opinions.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Heavy patients are poor liposuction candidates

+1

Whoever you saw was misleading you in my opinion by implying that you would be a good candidate for liposuction at 5 feet in height and a size 18.  This is especially true if when you shake the lower abdomen the tissue moves easily indicating poor skin elasticity and poor skin shrinkage potential.  No liposuction technology and make a good candidate out of a poor one.  You would probably be better served by weight loss and eventually a tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS