Heat and Sun Exposure

I underwent an extensive (open) secondary rhinoplasty approximately four months ago. Recently, I have had to spend a bit of time outdoors in the 100+ degree heat here in Phoenix, AZ. There is some sun exposure but I try to stay in the shade for the most part. On these days, I have experienced some extreme swelling. Will this affect the final result or is it only temporary? Do I need to avoid being outdoors or is the nose mostly healed at this point? Thank you for your time.

Nose swelling with sun and heat

+1

You should at a minimum be using a high SPF sunscreen on your nose as well as wearing a hat if possible = prolonged swelling in the first year can effect final outcome

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Heat and Sun Exposure 4 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose is not completely healed if you're experiencing temporary swelling with exposure to the sun and heat 4 months after revision rhinoplasty. Unfortunately, it is possible that repeated inflammatory reactions could compromise your final result. I suggest you avoid the extreme temperatures causing the problems your having.

Heat and sun exposure can cause extreme swelling after Rhinoplsty

+1

Yes, in my over 20 years experience performing Rhinoplasty...I have had patients who had prolonged heat and or sun exposure several months after their Rhinoplasty, despite my instructions to avoid that for the first 6 months. The swelling is from the body's defense mechanism to remove excess heat by increasing the blood supply to the tissue that getting warmer. Since the lymphatics don't hook up for 6 months, after a Rhinoplasty this extra blood supply can really make the nose swell up. IMHO, this while upsetting will not cause any healing issues as long as it's at least 3 months after the Rhinoplasty however, I would not advise this to be done on a regular basis.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com