Has Anyone Heard if the New Kotler Nasal Airway for Nose Surgery?

I'm getting a septoplasty,turbinate reduction, poly removal later this week. Mt doctor will be inserting this new airway with my splints and packing called Kotler Nasal Airway. It's supposed to allow you to breathe with packing for up to 6 days. Has anyone had experience with this?

Packing and 6 Days

+1

The internal nasal splints can be used after septoplasty, but the packing should be removed earlier than 6 days.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nasal packing post-rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, it is a useful splint, as it does let airflow occur during packing. However, leaving any packing in for six days may not be a good idea, as the infection rate goes quite a bit.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

I agree with Dr. Portuese below, we rarely pack the nose

+1

I agree with Dr. Portuese, that packing the nasal airway is rarely needed and greatly increases the postoperative pain after surgery.  There are many nasal packs with straws through them to help breath, unfortunately the straws usually clog.   If your nose is packed, it is very rare to need it packed for more than one day. 

Best regards,

Dr. Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Nasal Packing

+1

Packing the nose is very painful, so you will require addition and stronger pain medication.  Packing the nose for that long can lead to toxic shock syndrome, so you will now need additional antibiotics.  We stopped packing the nose over 20 years ago due to significant patient discomfort.  The only reason to pack the nose is if there is significant nosebleeds sometime in the first 2 weeks after the surgery. Packing for a nosebleed lasts only 2 days. 

Kotler Nasal Airway

+1

I have researched the science behind it and have used the device for patients.  You can imagine it as straws put into your nose to help you breathe postoperatively and allow better cleaning of your nose. When the device is removed it allows for a nice nasal passage.

Kimberly Lee, MD