Lifestyle Lift Deaths?

I have heard that Lifestyle Lift has had several deaths because they don't monitor the vitals of patients, and many serious infections because they do not sterilize their instruments. Is this true?

Lifestylelift deaths

+1

It is extremely unusual for this to happen as a local procedure . It is true that the patients are not monitored . I have heard of one death from a lifestyle lift patient in Boston of a young mother who had  an ananesthesia reaction and died.I don't know of any more but the internet claims ther are others. The internet cant be held as an authority.

Lifestyle Lift Deaths

+1

I can't speak for the procedural conditions at Lifestyle Lift centers. I also cannot speak for the number of deaths if any they have experienced. It is very difficult to conceive of a death during a lower facelift under local anesthetic if the surgeon has done a thorough history and physical exam and screened the patient to ensure that he or she is a good candidate for surgery.

I think that the most important factor to consider is how thorough the surgeon is in screening the patient for health problems. Obvious red flags for me include a history of a heart attack, atrial fibrilation, COPD, uncontrolled diabetes, use of blood thinners such as coumadin, a pacemaker, a history of blood clots in the legs or lungs, obesity, and advanced age to name a few. As a routine, I get labs, an EKG, and medical clearance from the patient's PMD for any patient's over the age of 60. If I have any doubt about patient safety I will either take the patient to an accredited surgery center with a board certified anesthesiologist, or I will not do the case.

Regarding infections, the most important factor is that the operating room staff is competently trained and certified in how to clean and sterilize the room as well as the instruments. I do a lot of cases in the office as well as in the surgery center and hospital. I make sure that the staff in my office employs the same sterilization techniques and adheres to the same standards as the surgery center. This results in very few complications and a good patient experience. 

Todd C. Miller, MD