Has Anyone Heard of Having Inflammation of Fat After a Tummy Tuck?

I am 10 weeks post op, I had a full TT w/ muscle repair and lipo. 3 weeks ago I started to get a large roll above my waist line. At first I was told it was swelling but it has gone from soft to hard. Today I was told it was inflammation of the fat and was given steriods to take. It looks like a spare tire and is several inches larger then before surgery. The bottom of my abdonmen is almost flat except for two places that the surgeon is calling "dog ears". I am concerned something went wrong.

Tummy Tuck Inflammation?

+2

Based on your description you may be experiencing some compromise of normal healing of the adipose tissue layer (possible fat necrosis) of  the abdominal wall flap  after the tummy tuck procedure.

Unfortunately,  there is not much to do except give it time (several weeks to months)  to determine if the tissue will be viable or not.  Generally speaking early exploration/debridement can be detrimental.

In the meantime, it is important to continue close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Because the tissue may not be receiving enough blood flow is at higher risk of  becoming infected.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Inflammation of fat after tummy tuck.

+1
What you may be referring to is fat necrosis, where there is some fat that loses its blood supply and dies. It may become hard at first and then soften. Unless it is an extremely large area it usually resolves itself, but discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Inflammation of fat after a tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like you may have an area of 'fat necrosis'. This means that an area of fatty tissue has lost its blood supply while the tummy skin was being lifted or moved during the operation. It is a relatively common problem. The body tries to dispose of the damaged fatty tissue through inflammation. Occasionally one may have discharge of liquefied fat from a nearby scar/open wound. The whole process takes several weeks to months, but further surgery is usually not needed.  However, I am not familiar with use of steroid for this condition.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon