Have You Ever Heard of Using Botox INSIDE the Mouth to Help with Corner Side Lip Wrinkles?

Please help. I am sore and swollen and see no improvement.

Botox inside the Mouth

+1

This is not a typical use of botox, and botox inside the mouth should generally be avoided. If you have just had the treatment, you will notice swelling and soreness. The optimal benefit of the treatment will be felt in about a week to 10 days. If you have not seen improvement after this time, contact your injector.

+1

Botox can be used to soften unwanted lines and wrinkles around the mouth.  I have used Botox to do so for over 20 years but do not inject Botox through the mouth.

Botox for wrinkles near the mouth

+1

Botox used as an off-label procedure to minimize mouth wrinkles are usually injected through the skin but possibly your doctor wanted to minimize the chance of external bruising. Now you may have an internal bruise that will take time to go away.  Please realize that some injections near the mouth can create a functional problem with smiling, eating and drinking. Your appearance could become asymmetric if the muscles don't react the same way on both sides.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox inside the mouth

+1

The rationale for doing this escapes me, because the muscles affecting the corners of the mouth are perfectly capable of being injected from the outside. However, with that being said, the mouth is very sensitive to injections and you can get swelling and bumping in the mouth (like when you see a dentist and have work done and they numb you!) that lasts a few days. Additionally, Botox takes 7-10 days for full effects, so if you just had this done, you need to wait at least that timeframe for full effects to be apparent. But the reason for injecting into your mouth, I'm not aware of how this would be more effective or helpful.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox used inside the mouth

+1

Theoretically, Botox could be injected into the muscles which contribute to corner of the mouth wrinkles from the inside.  As long as the medicine best to the muscle in sue  stion, it should work just fine.

If you are still sore and swollen, you probably just had the injection.  Swelling should last 2-3 days at the longest, but you may not see see the effect for 5-7 days.  If you have no effect at 2 weeks, I would consider seeing a different, and perhaps more qualified, injector in the future.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Seems Odd to Access the Muscle from the Inside

+1

Thanks for your question.

As the title suggests, musles affecting corner lip wrinkles are perfectly accessible from the outside, so the rationale for using Botox inside the mouth escapes me.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist