I've heard all different. When can you start working out again after surgery? I'm very active/ plyo's, crossfit, & dance

I do workout ALOT!! So I'm also wondering, how long will it be to go back into the gym? my workouts are crossfit, plyometrics, hand balancing/gymnastics & dance. Very active. So also i don't want to go too big of implants for workouts, but don't want to go to small for my frame. 5'9" 145 lbs/ i dont think I'm narrow/ have some muscles. So Doctors, what implant would you use on me?? I am a 32DD at VS, but push up bra

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question. Exercising too soon can jeopardize your implant placement so you must listen to your doctor. There are no perfect approach as everyone heals differently, heals at different rates, use a different size, have different sizes of muscles, etc. You can plan on at least 4 weeks before mild exercise, then your doctor can determine when you can progress to more. Your muscles will remember what to do, just give them time to heal and you will return to your level of fitness in just a couple of weeks.. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - You Could get a great result

+1
If you are ever planning on being in fitness competitions the pocket, and positions is all just as important as size.  You may wish to consult with a plastic surgeon who regularly performs breast augmentation surgery for women in fitness competitions.  Look at th sites of plastic surgeon who have performed surgery in many many female athletes.  I have added a link to my site.  Please ask follow your plastic surgeons instructions carefully and do not begin a workout program sooner than you are advised. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1

This all depends on how your surgery is done.  I usually like my patients to avoid high impact workouts for 6 weeks, especially if the implant is placed under the muscle.  

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Choosing the Right Size and Recovery

+1
Yours are very important questions in planning for a successful procedure.
I recommend abstaining from high impact activities (jumping, jogging), lifting more than 20 pounds or any activity that involves contraction of the pectoral muscles for 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  This is the time period for the initial formation of the capsule around the breast implants. Formation of a good capsule is critical to a good, natural result from breast augmentation.
You get only one chance to recover well! It is critical that you find a time in your schedule when you can take the time away from your normal workout routines to heal properly and avoid complications.
Choosing a size and shape to give you the result you desire and which fits your body is critical. During consultation, you can try on different size implants to find a size that pleases you aesthetically.  Examination and measurements of your chest will reveal what size and shape implants will fit your body.
We use a three-dimensional computer imaging device to take a picture of your chest and then insert different size and shape implants to determine what will best fit and provide the results you seek.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Recovery and working out after breast augmentation.

+1

The best person to answer this question is your plastic surgeon.  Many of my patients on whom I perform breast augmentations are semi-pro athletes or fitness enthusiasts.  I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.  You need to give time for your surgical site to heal externally (incision) and internally.   Please don't try to cheat on these or your surgeon's recommendations.  Getting your heart rate or blood pressure up can increase swelling or increase the risk of bleeding or hematoma.  After four weeks, I clear patients to resume the exercise routines *gradually*.  The key word is gradually.  So perhaps resume 20% of your workout regimen the first week.  Then the following week, double it and so on.   I hope this helps.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

It takes weeks of recovery before you can work out like usual

+1
Your surgeon will have very specific instructions on when you can return to the gym, especially to work out as hard as you describe.  It is very important to follow the post-op instructions closely.  You can do real harm to yourself and your results by pushing your recovery.

Many of us are avid exercisers.  We can't get enough of it.  But cutting out extreme exercise for six weeks is a small price to pay for a lifetime of good results.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

When can you start working out again after surgery? I'm very active/ plyo's, crossfit, & dance

+1

Thank you for the question. Although your desire to return to full exercise is understandable and commendable, you will be much better off listening to your plastic surgeon's advise as opposed to what you hear or read elsewhere. With due respect to other sources, the only resource that you should heed will be your plastic surgeon's,  who knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, what you are planning on doing ( in terms of exercise etc.) and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging may also be helpful during this communication process.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicate to very active patients), helps.