I Hear There Are Different Types/brands of Sil. Gel Implants, Which are the Best Ones & Why?

I Hear There Are Different Types/brands of Sil. Gel Implants, Which R the Best Ones & Why?

Brands of Silicone Implants in the US

+2

The FDA has approved only two manufacturers in the United Staes for the manufacture of silicone breast implants.  Allergan and Mentor are the two brands availabe.  Both companies make excellent products, provide good service and have good warranties they stand by.  I use both brands,  It is important to keep both companies in business so that one does not have a monopoly on the product.  A monopoly could affect the cost and make many women unable to afford breast implant surgery.

Silicone implants made in America probably all the same

+2

There are currently two manufacturers of silicone breast implants in the United States that are approved by the FDA.  They are Allergan and Mentor.  Both manufacturers make different sizes, shapes, and styles of implants.  They are all safe and the decision as to which to use depends on the surgeon and the patient.  They all use medical grade silicone, and there is no proven correlation between breast implants and cancer or immunological diseases.  Being a foreign material, implants can cause foreign body reactions such as capsular contractures, or infection which can occur anytime the skin is violated.

James Tang, MD

"BEST" Silicone Breast Breast Implants

+2

Slicone Breast implants have been on the market since the late 1960's and have improved in quality ever since. Contrary to popular belief, they were NEVER taken off the market. Instead they were restricted for many years to be used only in the most challenging of breast cases (including breast reconstruction, chest muscle and chest abnormalities even cases where a saline implant could not be used).At the present time 2 large companies MENTOR and ALLERGAN (Natrelle) - formerly Inamed / McGhan produce the vast majority of implants on the US market. BOTH warranty their products for life ; when the implant deflates, another set is provided free of charge. 

In my opinion, they are very similar if not identical and the choice should be up to you.

Good Luck.

Best gel implants

+1

There two major brands of implants in this country, Mentor and Allergan.  While there are newer types of gel and shapes of implants in testing, none has been approved for general use by the FDA as of this date.  Both companies produce implants of good quality in a variety of volumes, but not shapes.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

Today we have a lot of options in implants from moderate, moderate plus and high profile with similar volumes. This accommodates the various chest anatomies for different patients. 

Breast Implants available in the US

+1

Twenty years there were many types of implants from different manufacturers available in the US.   Everything changed in the early 1990's with the silicone gel moratorium.  Companies like Dow Medical completely left the breast implant business.  Currently there are two manufacturers available in the US, Mentor and Allergan.  Both make an excellent product.   

Best Silicone Gel Implants?

+1

As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

The silicone gel breast implants made by the Mentor Corporation and the Allergan Corporation have both been studied heavily and have very similar characteristics.  Both companies implants are  widely used in the United States.