I Can Hear Alot of Fluid Around my Breast Implant - Is That Normal?

It's been about 7 days since my left breast implant(silicon) has been replaced. It was taken out due to a breast abcess about 5 months ago. I can feel alot of fluid surrounding the implant. I have spoken to my PS about this and he seems to think that it is normal. Can it be a seroma?? I'm really worried this time around as I've already waited so long with only one breast. Will this fluid go away by itself or will it cause further complications??

Fluid around a breast implant

+2

A small amount of fluid or even air around a breast implant in the first few days after surgery is common and not a cause for concern. However, at 7 days post op this should be negligible. You case is complicated by the history of infection, and I recommend a re-examination by your surgeon as soon as possible. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Fluid and air around implant

+1

During the early period of recovery after breast augmentation you can sometimes hear or feel air or fluid around the implant.  This should gradually be absorbed over time.  You should continue to be checked by your plastic surgeon to make sure that you are healing normally.

Tony H. Pham, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fluid Around Breast Implant?

+1

It all depends on the quantity of fluid that is present and whether you have any other signs/symptoms of problems. For example, a small amount of fluid that you may see or hear at 7 days post-op is  commonly seen. On  the other hand, if there is enough fluid to cause breast asymmetry  this would be abnormal at any stage of recovery. If you are having any signs of infection such as fevers,  chills and/or redness associated with the fluid accumulation that I would be very concerned about the nature of the fluid accumulation.

Please keep close follow up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Fluid around implant, one week post-op

+1

Hello.  It's not uncommon to have a little fluid or air around the implant in the early post-op period.  This is entirely normal, and typically re-absorbs over the first 2-3 weeks.  Sometimes people hear "squeaky" or "gurgling" noises from it when they move.

While a seroma is certainly possible, it would be less likely - your surgeon can help you determine whether that's the situation here or not.  (That requires an in-person examination, rather than a web consult!)

Best wishes for your recovery,

Thomas Fiala, MD

+1

Generally after a breast augmentation, when you move the implants in the pocket you can hear some fluid in the pocket and this is quite normal and should resolve within 2-3 weeks. When there is a large amount of fluid around the implant you do not hear it because there is no place for it to move to cause the sound.  I would not panic. I would advise you to discuss this with your surgeon and let them guide you in this regard.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Can Hear A lot of Fluid Around my Breast Implant - Is That Normal?

+1

Regarding: "I Can Hear Alot of Fluid Around my Breast Implant - Is That Normal?
It's been about 7 days since my left breast implant(silicon) has been replaced. It was taken out due to a breast abcess about 5 months ago. I can feel alot of fluid surrounding the implant. I have spoken to my PS about this and he seems to think that it is normal. Can it be a seroma?? I'm really worried this time around as I've already waited so long with only one breast. Will this fluid go away by itself or will it cause further complications
??"

It is NOT normal to have a lot of fluid around a breast implant, either original or a replacement, at any time after surgery. Sometimes, even a little fluid may SEEM like a lot and while some fluid id commonly seen and will go away by itself having a large fluid collection is more serious and must be addressed by your surgeon.

The ONLY surgeon who has seen you is your surgeon and his opinion is more important than mine or my colleagues. I would suggest you make a point of seeing him and let him tell you what is going on.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hearing fluid around breast is normal

+1

One week after surgery is still early after surgery.  There is always swelling which is fluid in tissues.  If the fluid is in a space it is either serous or hematoma fluid.  Either way resorption of the fluid is the usual outcome.  If it persists you need to discuss options with your surgeon.  Sometimes the sound you hear is the implant shell rubbing on the surrounding swollen tissues.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Fluid around an implant 7days after surgery

+1

This is best answered by your surgeon, who said it was normal.  Follow up with him and follow his recommendations.  If it doesn't resolve in 3-4 weeks then a seroma is one possibility and should be investigated.

Daniel J. Casper, MD

Fluid around implants 7 days after exchange

+1

Hi there-

Only your surgeon would be able to answer this for you- 

It is possible that you have a collection of fluid (a seroma), and that this would need to be dealt with.

On the other hand, it is also possible that you are hearing some of the irrigation fluid used at surgery that has still not been absorbed by your body.

Visit your surgeon to find our which is more likely.

Armando Soto, MD

Fluid Around A Replaced Breast Implant After Infection May Be A Seroma

+1

The feeling of a little fluid around a newly placed breast implant is not uncommon in the first week after an initial breast augmentation. However, with your breast implant history and the description of feeling 'a lot of fluid around the implant' suggests that this may be a seroma buildup not just a little residual irrigation fluid waiting to be absorbed. While it is only a week, your plastic surgeon may recommend drainage which may require the surgical placement of a drain. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD