What to Worry About when I Have my Lower Body Lift? Any Sugestions in How to Prepare for the After Care? (photo)

Hi im having a lower body lift on December 8,2012 I have lost 205 lbs in a year a 2 months, all that by eating and exercising...(No weight loss surgery), but im very worry because i have never been put under, or ever been in a hospital in my life.Very afraid of the days after the surgery.

How to Prepare for the After Care?

+3

Congratulations on the benefits of your hard work. The question you pose is a good one, and hopefully at your pre-op visit you will have a chance to review this at length with your surgeon and the staff. Most likely you will receive a print out or relevant instructions.

You will have to manage your medications which will include pills for pain, nausea, and muscle spasm in all likelihood. You will have to manage your compression garment and dressing. You will have drains to take care of. The hardest things may be getting in and out of bed and chair and t the rest room. 

Expect to need someone around for the first 48 hours, though this is quite variable. 

From the photos, I think you can expect a nice result!!

Thanks for your question and best wishes. 

Body Lift Recovery

+2

I have my patients ambulating immediately after surgery.  However, immediately after surgery, you will be walking flexed at your waist (in the skier's position).  Each day, you will be gradually able to straighten.  It generally takes 5-10 days (on average 7 days) for my patients to walk straight.  I do instruct my patients to sleep in a recliner or sleep in their bed propped up with pillows to mimic a the recliner or lawnchair position.  By 10-14 days after surgery, you should be getting close to your baseline ( able to drive, walk straight etc).  Most patients are able to get back to a desk job in about 2-3 weeks.  However, no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks after your surgery.  You need to give time for all your incisions to heal.  During this 6 week period, most surgeons will recommend some form of compression garments to help minimize your postop swelling.    Talk to your plastic surgeon to learn more about his/her specific postoperative care protocol.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lower body lift after massive weight loss

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss! I recommend do not be afraid of your upcoming surgery, but prepare yourself and start feeling excited !  You will have great results!  I always tell my patients that if they have a positive attitude going into surgery, they tend to do much better post-operatively.  Think of yourself in that swimsuit by the summer! Nevertheless, make sure you have family to take care of you post-op, as you will need assistance getting up, going to the rest room, taking meds, emptying drains, etc.  you will also have a compression garment post-op, which will help support your new contours.  Good luck and take care!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. I suppose basd upon your query that your surgery already took place and you are recovering at this time.