Risky to Wait Before Removing Ruptured Silicone Breast Implants?

I've had Silicone breast implants for two years, unfortunately as shown in the MRI, one is ruptured and the other one is leaking. I already saw a plastic surgeon and I'm planning on having them explanted; but I can't do it until in three months. I'm also developing rashes in different parts of my body. The itching comes and goes.It seems like an allergic reaction.

Will there be any health risk if I wait for 3 months before having my implants removed? Thanks for your advice.

Leaking implants

+1

There should be no association wtih rashes and leaking implants. However, leakage of silicone is associated wtih thickenning of your breast capsule which will distort your breasts. You should have them as soon as it is convenient for you.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

It is not risky

+1

If a rupture is suspected based on an MRI, then it is generally a good idea to remove it as soon as possible. However, there is no health risk associated with waiting 3 months. In fact, I have had patients who have had ruptured silicone implants for over 6 months without a problem.

It is unlikely that the rash is related to the silicone implants. It is a good idea to see a dermatologist just in case there is some other problem.

John Diaz, MD

No specific health risks

+1

Hi, you should not be at risk for any general health problems if your implants are ruptured. It is unlikely that the rash you are experiencing is secondary to your implants, but I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for evaluation to determine if there is aother source of your reaction. I would agree with your surgeon, however, that your implants should be replaced, as your breast tissues are at risk for developing scar tissue from the irritation caused by the ruptures. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Timing of management of a ruptured silicone implant

+1

First there is about a 10-15% chance that the MRI is wrong.

However, assuming it is correct and the implant is a relatively new cohesive gel style implant and that the rupture is relatively recent, it is unlikely that any significant problems will result from delaying treatment.

In the meantime, I would avoid vigorous massage or manipulation of the breast which could result in a capsular rupture.

If the rupture is intracaspsular, it is a relatively easy procedure.

If the rupture is extracapsular, it is more involved surgery