Do I Need Health Insurance Before Considering a Breast Agumentation?

I am considering a breast agumentation, I live in Kansas, I am a 32A and I'm wanting to be a 34C. I don't need to finance because I have the money but I currently dont have insurance. Would not having insurance be a problem when trying to get this surgery? I didn't think this would be an issue considering that most insurance company's don't cover cosmetic surgery and I'm a very healthy 21 year old mom of 2 boys!

Health insurance and cosmetic surgery

+2

You do not need health insurance to under go breast augmentation or any other non-covered cosmetic procedure but it is not a good idea to do so. Although insurance companies say they will not cover complications of cosmetic surgery that is not completely true. If you have a sudden allergic reaction to a medication, even if that medication is given during cosmetic surgery, that is life threatening you can bet insurance will cover it. Although these events are quite rare it is not a good idea to undergo any cosmetic surgery without having basic health insurance for these rare events. That is what insurance is for - protection against/for rare events. One of my patients took large amounts of aspirin before surgery without telling me and despite my numerous instructions before hand not to do so. His blood pressure dropped during surgery and I admitted him to the hospital for a few days. After some back and forth his health insurance covered the admission because it was for a life threatening drop in blood pressure.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

May consider Cosmetassure coverage for breast augmentation

+2

In general it is a good idea for all adults to have health insurance, especially when considering any elective surgery.  It is always best to put things in perspective.  Health insurance will not cover cosmetic surgery and most will not cover any complications from a cosmetic surgical procedure.   At our office we provide a 30 day plan called Cosmetassure.   This will provide supplemental coverage for complications arising from a covered cosmetic procedure.  You may want to look at cosmetassure web site  for more information on how this plan works.  

+2

Having insurance really doesn't have any bearing on you having surgery but talk to your doctor about what the process would be if you had something very urgent come up after surgery and needed treatment...it would be very rare for something to happen but it's good to ask!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Concern about insurance as relates to breast augmentation surgery

+2

Having or not having health insurance is irrelevant in most situations regarding consideration for a breast augmentation. Insurance will not pay for any part of the surgery and rarely will cover any complications associated with it. Thankfully, it is extremely rare to have any significant (major) complications related to this procedure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Augmentation and Health Insurance

+2

Health Insurance increasingly pays less and less for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and will NOT pay for you to have Cosmetic Plastic Surgery. While it is always good to have health insurance in case something happens (accident, or sudden disease) the likelihood of your having a major complication requiring extensive medical care as result of the Breast Augmentation is VERY low.

Good Luck.

Insurance coverage before breast augmentation

+2

You do not need insurance coverage prior to breast augmentation.  As my colleagues stated breast augmentation is a very safe surgery.  You are young and healthy; the risks from surgery/anesthesia are very low. Any procedure has small risks such as bleeding, infection, scar, pain, hematoma, asymmetry, etc; however, they are rare. Breast augmentation is not covered by insurance; any complication arising from the surgery is not covered by insurance either.  Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

You don't need health insurance for breast augmentation

+2

You don't need health insurance for breast augmentation. The procedure is very safe and it is unlikely that you would require a hospital visit. Of course anyone without medical insurance is taking a calculated risk daily. With breast augmentation is low risk is a pretty good bet.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Health insurance and breast augmentation

+2
Augmentation is not covered by health insurance so the absence of coverage would not be a consideration for this surgery. Any complications of a cosmetic procedure would not be covered by health insurance as well.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Health Insurance Not Needed For Breast Augmentation

+2

It is not necessary to have health insurance to undergo a breast augmentation.  The procedure is not going to be a covered benefit; in fact, most health insurance policies also have an exclusion for coverage of any complications related to cosmetic surgery.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Augmentation and Health Insurance?

+2

No, you do not need health insurance before undergoing breast augmentation surgery. You are correct in that insurance companies don't cover cosmetic surgery and the risks  of serious complications for a 21-year-old healthy female are extremely low.