Any Health Factors I Need to Worry About for Rhinoplasty?

Do u have to worry about weight, skin problems, breathing problems, and etc? What do u have to do to prepare go into surgery? What/how much time do u need to take off from work/exercise/school/etc?

Elective surgery like Rhinoplasty

+2

People having Rhinoplasty are usually healthy and have a very low risk of anesthesia. This of course needs to be confirmed prior to any surgery. Many surgeons use a pre operative assessment clinic  often associated with the hospital/surgicenter. Certain drugs need to be stopped before surgery, the commonest would be ASA which increases bleeding and hence bruising and swelling.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Health factors and preparing for rhinoplasty

+1

Prior to embarking on elective cosmetic surgery, it is important to be in excellent health both physically and mentally. Two weeks prior to surgery patients must discontinue use of any aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, and herbal supplements as they are blood thinners and can interfere with healing. This also averts any packing necessary for the nose after the rhinoplasty. We recommend taking ten days off from work and/or school for recovery so that all the obvious bruising and swelling has dissipated.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Health Factors to Consider before Rhinoplasty

+1

Clotting factors will be tested before surgery to make sure bleeding and swelling will be limited. Medications and foods that will thin the blood are eliminated for two weeks before surgery. A medical history and physical examination are necessary to make sure you are in good health. After surgery swelling will be obvious around the eyes for 7-10 days in many cases. Strenuous activities are restricted for about two weeks. Nasal trauma should be avoided for 6 weeks.

Health conditions & preparation for #rhinoplasty surgery or #cosmeticsurgery

+1

Hi dreamission in San Diego,

Your rhinoplasty surgeon will obtain a medical history, in addition to physical examination of your nose and face. He/she will work with your primary care physician to obtain any appropriate tests prior to your rhinoplasty surgery. Typically, older patients undergoing plastic surgery require routine blood tests, EKG, and chest x-ray prior to any surgery or anesthesia. Younger patients without health problems may require less testing. You may review my preoperative plastic surgery care guide as a start, but only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. C

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/resources/care-instructions.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect with rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Dreamission,

You need to avoid all medications that may "thin" your blood and increase your chances of bleeding such as aspirin, Advil, Motrin, etc. for at least 10 to 14 days prior to surgery.  If your breathing problems are related to your nose, your surgeon should be able to address it at the time of rhinoplasty and help improve your breathing.  In my practice, most patients can return to work or school after 7 days.  Light walking can begin at about 7 to 10 days after surgery, full exercise at 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.  Most importantly, choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well. 

Dr. P

Health factors and rhinoplasty

+1

You have to worry about all things for a rhinoplasty.   Just like for any other surgery. I take nothing for granted and review the medical history carefully.

Any Health Factors I Need to Worry About for Rhinoplasty

+1

For ANY cosmetic or any surgery there are a multitude of health issues. From high blood pressure to bleeding issues, smoking, vitamin use, infections, etc. You need to see in person a boarded rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Rhinoplasty and Preparation

+1

For cosmetic procedures we like to make sure that the patient has minimal risk undergoing general anesthesia.  As far as breathing issues are concerned, these can be addressed and should be addressed during a rhinoplasty procedure.

I like to make sure the patient is not smoking and if they are a smoker then they need to stop for 4 weeks before surgery.  Also you need to make sure that your are not taking any medications that your doctor does not want you to be taking prior to the surgery, such as aspirin and ibuprofen.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-nose-surgery-rhinoplasty-newport-beach.php

Rhinoplasty Considerations

+1

Cosmetic surgery is for healthy people, or alternatively, it can also be applied to patients who are not experiencing active problems or exacerbations from chronic disease (diabetes, hypertension).  Since the nose is an incredibly vascular structure, any medications that promote bleeding (Aspirin and other NSAIDS, coumadin, plavix, vitamin E, fish oil, exotic vitamins).  I generally advocate a 2 week hiatus from the gymn or strenuous activity.  However, return to work is somewhat subjective since a nasal cast is utilized for the 1st week.  The "appearance factor" bothers some patients yet doesn't faze others.  Bruising is typically minimal with rare exceptions.  Some patients experience a degree of nasal stuffiness, others do not.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Considerations of health in rhinoplasty.

+1

You need to refrain from the use of aspirin and products that increase bleeding which we give our patients. You should be able to return to work 1 week later with a little cover up makeup. There are no other issues  to be concerned with if you have no serious pre-existing illness. Your breathing issues should be improved with surgery if you have any. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.