Is There a Health Benefit of Fat Removal in Tummy Tuck Similar To Losing Belly Fat The Traditional Way?

Not trying for insurance coverage, just wondering - I know abdominal fat is worse heart-health-wise than hip fat. Could the removal of fat in a full TT improve a patient's heart-health odds generally, or is this wishful thinking? I don't have heart disease but I do have apple-body habitus so after losing 80+ pounds the leftovers are sitting on mah belly, just wondering if TT will be physically as well as psychologically beneficial. Thanks.

Health benefits of tummy tuck

+3

We usually think of the health benefits of tummy tuck to be better abdominal tone and posture, increased exercise tolerance, and correction of hernias when present. It may be true as well that a reduction of abdominal fat through tummy tuck or liposuction may reduce insulin requirements and reduce the presence of type 2 diabetes. Now, if only insurance companies saw the value we do.

There is no proven benefit to health with cosmetic fat reduction procedures

+1

This question re. health benefits of fat removal (surgical or liposuction) has been looked at several times. Currently, the best literature is clear in that there is no proven health benefit to surgical removal of this external tissue. It had been speculated that high volume fat reduction with liposuction might reduce insulin resistence, but that did not hold up under scrutiny

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Health Benefits of a Tummy tuck

+1

The belly fat that corresponds to increased cardiac risk is the fat INSIDE the abdominal cavity.  A tummy tuck removes the surface fat, above the abdominal wall.  Neither liposuction nor tummy tucks improve cardiac risk..  There are of course some physical advantages.  Having less weight around the mid section can relieve back strain.  Having your abdominal muscle aligned where they belong anatomically can increase the efficiency of their work, at least theoretically.  The best reason to have a tummy tuck is to like your body better.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Health Benefits of Fat Reduction only apply to Visceral Fat

+1

Hi there-

All available research indicates that reduction of fat can reduce insulin resistance and the risks of diabetes (type 2), but only reduction of visceral fat- the fat that we collect internally around our organs.

The subcutaneous fat (fat between the skin and our muscle layer) has not been shown to be related to these health risks- and therefore, removal through liposuction and/or tummy tuck surgery has not been found to be beneficial in improving one's health or future risks of health complications.

On the other hand, there can be no doubt that when you are pleasedwith how you look, you are more confident and secure, and I think most women do realize a healthy improvement in self esteem and energy when they are happy with how they look.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS