Uneven Breasts 6 Weeks After Breast Augmentation, How Long Until They're Healed?

I had BA done 6 weeks ago. Because i was asymmetrical to begin in size and location, DR put in 250/300cc. he also pulled up one of my nipples to match the line. He went in thru the nipple for 300 and underarm for 250. I feel that the side wth 250 has healed ok but the side with 300 is still swollen and looks much bigger than the 250 side. Does it make a difference in regard to the healing time that one went in thru the nipple and the other thru arm incision? does 50 cc make a great difference??

Asymmetrical breasts before augmentation; how long until they heal?

+1

It will take 6 months or longer before your final results will be evident, expecially with different breast sizes and positions before surgery, and different implant sizes and incisional choices.

Many other factors can account for early differences, such as bleeding, tissue swelling, and differences in the incision, dissection, and pocket creation.

50cc is a small volume (equal to 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon), and one that is minimally visible. If you had a visible discrepancy in your breast sizes pre-operatively, I would choose a 50cc difference only if that discrepancy was very small and barely visible. Larger discrepancies would require larger volume differences.

The degree of visible difference you describe now is larger than 50 cc, but the effects of swelling (and possible bleeding or seroma) are usually much greater than a 50cc difference, so only time and healing will allow you and your surgeon to see if that volume was the correct one to correct your natural volume asymmetry, and if the different incisions and surgical approachs were in fact a good idea. Follow up with your surgeon and be patient as time goes by. Do not request revisional surgery until at least 6 months (or longer) has passsed. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Generally, it takes at least 6-12 months to see the final results after breast augmentation surgery.  Given that you started with some breast asymmetry it is likely that you will continue to have some breast asymmetry ( despite best efforts).  Often, breast implants “settle” over the course of the first few months;  it is possible that this process may be occurring at different rates given the different approaches that were used on each side in your case.

Generally, the difference 50 mL will make will depend on the  patient's situation. For a patient with very little breast tissue to start with 50 mL can make a significant difference. For a patient with very large breasts and/or large implants 50 mL will not be a significant difference etc.

I would suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Be patient when correcting assymetry.

+1

In a patient with two identical breasts the implants start out tight and high and take a number of months to relax and look more natural.  Same volume and same starting breast and this process is relatively symmetric as it happens.

With different sized breasts the settling process behaves differently. The smaller breast with the larger implant volume will take longer to settle because the skin will start out tighter and take longer to stretch.

It is too early to say if the 50 cc difference is the correct amount.  you will only really know when the breasts have fully relaxed.  I would give it at least six months and discuss massage with your PS to speed the settling process.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Still early

+1

I am assuming that the side with the nipple "pulled up" is also the side with the per-areolar approach done for implant insertion.  The amount of manipulation to put in the implants is usually a little more on the smaller side, just by virtue of creating a bigger pocket in a smaller breast.  Also there was extra surgery done on the side of the nipple adjustment.  So one would expect that side to be a little more swollen after surgery, and for the swelling to take a bit longer to resolve.  It is also possible that the side that is significantly larger may have a little blood or fluid collected inside.  This too should resolve over time.  I would advise you to discuss your concerns with your doctor and, hard as it is to do, try to be patient.

Finally, we usually figure about 200ml is roughly one cup size.  So 50ml (2 ounces) is about one quarter of a bra cup.  This is significant, but not overly so.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and post-op

+1

it is a bit unusual for the surgeon to use two different incisions for the procedure, but you need to give it a few months for the swelling to go down.