Is the Healing Process Slowed Down by a Hematoma/Blood Transfusion After a Full Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

I had a full tummy tuck with revisional breast augmentation (including new implants) 6 weeks ago. At 5 days post-op I developed a hematoma (800 ml of blood collected around abdominal incision & bleeding in 2 places in lower abdomen) which required a new surgery (under general) to remove & correct it. I had to have a blood transfusion at this time. Will this prolong my healing process and will I have problems with my scar since they had to reopen it?

Hematoma and healing

+2

It is unlikely that the healing process will be slowed down by the early post-op problem that you sustained.

Wound healing after hematoma and transfusion following tummy tuck

+1

If the hematoma was recognized, treated and promptly evaluated without recurrence, it is quite likely you will heal with little delay. A persistent untreated anemia, if significantly low, may  impair wound healing to a greater degree than an uncomplicated transfusion 

Complications from Tummy Tuck and Breast Revision

+1

Dear Bleeder,

In regard to your question about the incision, the healing of the incision should not change the characteristic of the final result.  Your healing time frame has been changed as opposed to your healing process. The healing process started over at 5 days.  Nothing more.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS