Healing, Cast Removal, Taping and Splint Removal: Rhinoplasty

I had a rhinoplasty done 9 days ago, part of it was to fix the deviated septum, lift up tip, dorsal hump etc (the usual). First, the PS removed the cast after just 5 days and he does not use taping; then today, after I was experiencing massive headaches, he decided to remove the splints (one was falling down and was deep inside) - he said its just a bit early but my nose looks ok. I saw my nose and notices its still deviated towards the left (like before), and I have a callous on dorsal hump??

Nasal appearance during early postoperative period

+2

Hi. The appearance of your nose at this point during your recovery is not indicative of your final result. It is normal for there to be edema (swelling) of the soft tissue of the nasal dorsum where the hump was removed. That can appear to be a 'callous.' Patient anxiety is common during this time between splint removal and the dissipation of edema. The deviation can also improve with time, although that is more variable. At 9 days, you are still in the early stages of healing. You cannot and should not try to judge your result at this time. As the edema resolves your result will become more apparent. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon, who alone is familiar with the details of your operation and can address your specific concerns. Good luck.

You will have to wait longer to make a decision about your final rhinoplasty result

+1

Thank you for the question.  Its hard to know without before and after photos what is going on.  Regardless, it is early in your recovery period and you will need to wait at least a few months to be able to accurately judge the final results of your rhinoplasty.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Healing After Rhinoplasty

+1

After surgery it is not uncommon for all patients to have anxieties about their final results, especially with cosmetic surgery.  At only nine days after surgery patients cannot even begin to assess the final conformation of their nose, as healing take up to 12 months.  I suggest you follow up with your current surgeon, and follow all instructions provided to you.  Edema is very common at your stage and will take months to totally resolve.  Good Luck... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

From your posting you may have some issues but very early in healing to be sure. Post before and after photos so we can advise. 

Early Crookedness 10 Days After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Toronto,

Best to follow up with your rhinoplasty surgeon who is best suited to answer your questions and concerns.  There is not much to do at this point.  Any revision surgery would be 6-12 months down the line. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD