What Is The Healing and Complication Differences Between Standard Tummy Tuck Versus Fleur-de-lis?

I've lost over 150 pounds with vertical sleeve WLS. My plastic surgeon is giving me a choice - a standard extended tummy tuck or a fleur-de-lis/anchor tt. He said if I was OK with the scar the vertical cut would give me better results, especially in my waist, but cautioned me that healing time and complications rates would be greater. In trying to find information on healing and complication differences between the surgeries I can't find anything. What is your experience with patients?

Differences between Fleur de Lis and Standard Tummy Tuck

+2

The main difference between a Fleur de Lis and Standard Tummy Tuck is that the Fleur de Lis has a vertical scar but it also reduces the transverse abdomen. It is an excellent choice for many people with massive weight loss. The difference in complications is that there is more incision to heal and all blood supply from each side comes only from that side. In a regular abdominoplasty, blood supply to the abdominal skin comes somewhat from both sides. If your weight loss surgery was done endoscopiclly, you will have increased risks in the Fleur de Lis slightly and could have some delayed healing. If, however, you already have a vertical incision from the weight loss or previous surgery, the risks are essentially the same.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Complications of Fleur de Lis vs Standard Tummy Tuck

+2

Sometimes after massive weight loss the laxity is not only in the vertical direction but in the horizontal direction as well.  Depending upon the amount of horizontal laxity, fleur de lis may give the best contour.   By creating the vertical scar, you are devascularizing the tummy tuck flap further and main complications would be the result of that including wound healing problems.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA