If Healing of Anatomical Implants is Disrupted, is Encapsulation Permanently Affected?

I am hoping healing time can be recovered with a longer delay before resuming regular activities (>6wks). I am very concerned about rotation of implants because I rock climb. My toddler has bumped each breast, I have had to reach out and grab him for safety, and I am experiencing clenching at night. I am currently 2 weeks post-op.

Rotation of anatomic implants

+2

The orientation of anatomic implants depends on the texture on the surface to hold them in position. Some individuals who are very active, say swimming, can develop a covering over the texture due to implant rubbing and movement, and sometimes a fluid collection called a seroma. If you are very active physically such as rock climbing your implant choice may always make you prone to shifs and rotation.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Anatomical Breast Implants and Complications?

+1

Based on the descriptions of your  “trauma” (toddler bumping…)  I do not think that any harm has been done to the process of “encapsulation”.  Your body will continue to produce a layer of scar tissue (capsule) surrounding the breast implants for the next few months.

I have the same concerns that you do regarding anatomical breast implants;  frankly I am not sure it was the best choice for you given your active lifestyle.  However, at this point, there is not much you can do except for resting during your recovery period.  Unfortunately,  if movement/shifting/rotation of the breast implant is going to occur longer-term,  there is not much that you can do to prevent this. Obviously, you will want to continue to  participate in activities (for example rockclimbing)  that you enjoy;  hopefully, you will be able to do so without experiencing any complications.

If revisionary surgery ever becomes necessary for one reason or another,  I would suggest that you consider round breast implants...

Rotating anatomic implants

+1

I am not a big fan of anataomic implants for the reason you stated.  Although it is rare, it can happen. And it can happen at anytime.