Healed Lip Laceration Resulted in Bump on Inside of Lip, Should I Get It Removed?

I recently fell and hurt my bottom lip. I had a semi deep laceration; I did not get stitches. The swelling went away and the actual laceration healed itself in about 5 days. I am now left with a sort of "bump" or nodule on the inside of my lip where the laceration was. It is not noticeable unless I push my lip against my teeth...but I can feel it with my tongue very easily. What is this? Will this go away on its own, in time? Or do I have to see a Dr. to get this removed? Please advise. Thanks!

Lip scar revision for a bump after a laceration repair

+1

The lip bump can be residual scar or swelling.  The most effective treatment is a small surgical scar revision in the mucosa.  Will leave a barely noticeable scar. 

Hypertrophic scar vs. mucocele on lip after trauma

+1

The affected area should be examined by a board-certified dermatologist. Before punch excision, one or more intralesional steroid injection may be enough to take care of it.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Allow at least 2 months of healing before thinking of a revision surgery. Maybe try a drop of steroid injection into the "bump". 

What to do about a bump on the lip after fall

+1

There are a couple of possibilities here:

• a scar, which will either soften by itself or may need an interlesional Kenalog injection
  • a mucocele, a collection of mucin that replaced the normal collagen at this site.  This sometimes happens with trauma.  The translucency of the nodule makes this one more likely.  This will also respond to Kenalog.
  • a foreign body reaction.  If some dirt or any particles got into the wound, it would create inflammation.

If the fall is recent, it may improve with time by itself.  If it has been several weeks, I would consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon