What Can I Expect For Heal Time After Breast Lift? When Can I Begin Exercising Post-Op?

I'm considering just getting a breast lift. I'm currently a B cup and believe I have tubular breasts. I love to run, so I'm concerned about the healing time. How long (on average) until I'm able to continue my workout routine? Also, I'm black and don't have a history of keloiding, could I still be at risk?

Instructions after breast lift

+2

Dear Daned13,

Your surgeon should be able to guide you and give you in writing his/her post-operative instructions after breast lift surgery. typically for my patients: all incisions will be covered by steristrips, so all patients can shower from day # 1. But no hot baths, jaccuzzi, swimming in a ocean or pool for another 6 weeks or until I clear it.

No heavy lifting for 3 weeks: no more than a 3 LBS purse.

all sports activities can be resumed at 3 weeks post-op. wear 2 tight sports bras if running.

all my patients are instructed to start massaging their breasts from day # 1 with moisturizer, hand-held electrical massager or hand-held ultrasound devices ( you can purchase them for less than 100 $ on Amazon )

good luck

F. Mussat MD

Exercise and lift?

+1
Dear Daned,
Thank you for your post. I am very protective of my patients with augmentations or lifts who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together. Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts. I would however, wait 6 weeks before running type activities are commenced.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast lift

+1

The key to returning to exercise after breast lift surgery is to progress slowly.  You should start with walking/elliptical type activities and progress slowly back to running.  Depending on how you're healing, you may be able to begin running three to six weeks post surgically.  Heavy lifting should be avoided for at least 6 weeks. Your surgeon should be able to advise you based on how your healing is progressing.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy

+1
good answer already. a few additions. if you are African-America and only a B cup consider the periareola lift. this is my favorite for less than C cup. I put patients in the shower next day and let them do any activity that feels comfortable but with a firm sports bra and maybe an ace bandage wrap.no real running for about a month and even then start slow. cross train.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Exercising Post op?

+1

You will find that your plastic surgeon will guide you,  depending on exactly what is done and how your recovery proceeds,  with specific guidelines to return to specific activities after surgery.

Generally speaking,  most of my breast lift patients are able to return to lower body exercises  (for example stationary bike) one week after surgery.  Running may have to wait for approximately 6 weeks.  I ask patients to abstain from heavy lifting for 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.

Unfortunately, despite your lack of previous keloid scar formation,  you are still at risk for keloid scarring after breast lifting surgery. Fortunately, most patients ( despite ethnicity  and skin color)  do not develop keloid scars.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.