What Can Be Done to Heal my Face? (photo)

On 8/9/12 I had Juvederm injected into my chin area. By 9/6 the corners of my mouth were still red & bruised. So my board certified plastic surgeon used a laser. That led to the a much worse appearance. It is now 6 weeks since the laser, the scabs healed & the entire area that was lasered is purple & red. I started using Arnica gel once the scabs healed - no help. I have never had the problem before. I had my upper lip injected with Juvederm. My Dr. is supposed to be a trainer for Juvederm.

Areas purple and red after Juvederm and laser

Your case sounds very unusual for a Juvederm treatment.  While it is possible to get bruising, redness and swelling after Juvederm, these effects normally go away after a few days, or rarely a week or so.  I can't explain why your bruising and redness lasted a month.  I'm not sure what type of laser treatment you had, but from your picture, it appears that there is no significant bruising but some superficial healing taking place on the surface of the skin.  I would not expect Arnica to help with this.  I would recommend trying aquaphor ointment to the area and also sun protection to the area.  I'm also assuming that you have been seeing your plastic surgeon for follow-up appointments to evaluate your healing.  It may just take some more time for the area to heal completely.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

500 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

I agree with Dr. Echavez. I don't understand why a treatment to your chin with Juvederm would have an affect on the corners of your mouth. I am wondering if you had some type of herpes outbreak instead, which does happen after fillers if you have susceptibility to herpes. These outbreaks, if bad enough, can last for awhile. Treating an outbreak of herpes with a laser would actually make it worse - not better - and result in more small clustered blisters, which ultimately would scab over and be red and bumpy. Arnica would do nothing for this, but keeping the area moist, and taking proper oral medication in general, would be better.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117

Healing Areas after Juvederm and Laser

These areas are in the process of healing, and these may heal uneventfully in the future.  I would agree that this is not the normal course of events for Juvederm injections.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Juvederm and healing

From the looks of your picture posted, you need to allow time for the entire area to heal. It's unclear exactly the extent of the area treated but good skin care (moisturizer and sunscreen) specifically should help things along.

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004