HBP and Hypothyroidism - Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?

Hi, I'm 42 years old in good health minus my high blood pressure and hypothyroidism. My BP is well controlled and they just had to increase my Levothyroxine to 0.088mg because one of my levels was over 10,000. I can't remember which one, but once I'm restablized on my thyroid meds, would I be a good candidate for breast augmentation?

HBP and hypothyroidism - am I a good candidate for breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. You appear to be an excellent candidate once your medical issues are stable. Discuss these with your primary care physician, your plastic surgeon, and your anesthesiologist. 

Things to to consider during your consultation, which your surgeon will discuss with you, include implant type (saline vs silicone), shape/texturing of implant (round vs shaped/textured vs non-textured), implant position (sub pectoral, subglandular, or subfascial), incision (inframammary fold, periareolar, axillary, or TUBA), and size of implant. This can be performed with/out a breast lift, which would serve to obtain symmetry in breast size or nipple position as well as improve shape. Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. Too large of implants for the woman often destroys the breast pocket and breast shape, thus creating an oft seen in correctable problem later.

In general, implant size does not correlate with cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size or implant size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Your breast width is the most important measurement.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Health status and breast augmentation

+1

These are common medical issues we see in the population.  If they are well controlled, it should not be an issue with respect to your breast augmentation.  Your plastic surgeon will decide if you need to be evaluated by an internal medicine specialist before your surgery for medicine clearance.

Medical condions and breast augmentation

+1

These are relatively common disordiers in the breast augmentation population and I do not see any reason why you would not get an ohterwise great result. Ensure that your anestheisologiist is aware and discuss your plans to have surgery wiht your internist. You may alos want to obtain a mammogram prior to surgery.

Chronic Medical Issues and Breast Augmentation

+1

Once your medical conditions are stable you can have a breast augmentation.  Obviously, would need to have an examination of your breasts to see if an augmentation is reasonable for you.

Dr. ES

Medical clearance before plastic surgery

+1

Your medical condition is not a contraindication to breast augmentation. For safety reasons you should have a medical clearance by the doctor who manages your blood pressure and hypothyroidism prior to any elective surgery.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

Only with a full written medical clearance would I undertake your surgery. This is for your protection. Best of luck from MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

High Blood Pressure, Low Thyroid Hormone levels should be corrected before Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Regarding: "HBP and Hypothyroidism - Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Hi, I'm 42 years old in good health minus my high blood pressure and hypothyroidism. My BP is well controlled and they just had to increase my Levothyroxine to 0.088mg because one of my levels was over 10,000. I can't remember which one, but once I'm restablized on my thyroid meds, would I be a good candidate for breast augmentation
?"

Once your blood pressure is normalized as are your thyroid hormone levels and your internist does not feel you have a high cardiac risk to undergo this (or other) operations, there is NO reason why you should not be able to undergo a safe cosmetic surgery. Thousands of people just like you are having Plastic Surgery the world over.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Thanks for your service to Our Country, and Merry Christmas

+1

There should be no contraindication to you having a breast augmentation when your thyroid disease and blood pressure are stable. You must be in pretty good shape if you are serving in our military in Afghanistan. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Breast augmentation and medical issues

+1

If your blood pressure and thyroid issues are controlled, you should be able to undergo a breast augmentation safely.  You would require some routine bloodwork prior to surgery, and your surgeon might request that your regular doctor evaluate and clear you prior to surgery.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS