I'm 18 Days Post Op and I'm Having Some Major Concerns. My Nostrils Seem to Be Totally Different. Will This Settle In? (photo)

What can I say to my doctor about this?

I'm 18 Days Post Op and I'm Having Some Major Concerns. My Nostrils Seem to Be Totally Different. Will This Settle In?

+1

There is always some nostril asymmetry.  The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more.  Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary,  etc.

Uneven Nostrils 3 Weeks Following Rhinoplasty

+1

There is definitely asymmetry, some of which may be due to asymmetric swelling -- but my guess is that some significant asymmetry will remain after swelling resolves.  There also appears to be some asymmetry of your tip (one side seems higher than the other).  It is always very helpful to see before photos to see what asymmetries were already present -- as some can be very difficult to correct.  You definitely should discuss this concern with your surgeon and ask him/her what your options are if these differences remain.  There is more flare in the nostril on the right side of the photograph -- and there are surgical methods to reduce flare.  Generally, surgeons will wait 6months to a year prior to considering revising the tip -- and the tip and the nostril asymmetry may be related and it may be best to correct both at the same time -- if the problem remains.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon