Hawaii Vacation 4 1/2 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck?

I'm a healthy mom of 3 children (8, 4, and 1 1/2). I have a tummy tuck with muscle repair scheduled for mid May and we have a family vacation to Hawaii planned 4 1/2 week following. Am I crazy? We spend most of our vacations around the pool and playing at a kid friendly beach. My husband loves to snorkel as do I but I plan on not doing too much. Also, I'll have full-time help with kids at home for the first 2 weeks post-op and part-time after that.

Hawaiian Vacation After A Tummy Tuck - Is One Month Too Soon?

+1

Each patient is different with respect to the recovery after an abdominoplasty with muscle repair.  In my practice at the Mommy Makeover Institute of Hawaii, the average amount of time before a patient can go back to driving a car, carrying groceries, and working at an administrative job is about 18-20 days.  Recently, we had a physician have multiple surgeries including a tummy tuck, and she was back on call within 7 days.  

For a healthy young mother of three children, I believe that 4-1/2 weeks after a tummy tuck should be plenty of time to participate in a vacation in Hawaii.  There are lots of beautiful sights to see, and fortunately, if there are any unanticipated problems, you have about 20 Board Certified plastic surgeons throughout the State of Hawaii that your physician in California could call if he or she needed to have you seen.  

Hawaii is an extremely healthy environment and the sea, the salt air, and the slower pace should rejuvenate you after your tummy tuck. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

4and 1/2 weeks should be plenty of time for you to take a vacation, including one with a little physical activity.  However, everyone is different in how quickly they recover, especially from a tummy tuck.  Ask your surgeon for his or her recommendation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

Barring complications, you should be OK to go on the vacation, but some of your planned activities may not be all that comfortable that soon. With any complications, you could wind up sitting by the pool or not going at all. Granted, complications are few, but I always caution my patients to give themselves more time than they think between surgery and a vacation, or else do the vacation first, then the surgery. You just never know.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hawaii 1 month after tummy tuck

+1

Hi there, 4 1/2 weeks should be ok to attend and enjoy your vacation, especially given the amount of activity you described.  Certainly, your surgeon will also make decisions along with you (depending on your recovery) with regards to exactly what is recommended and whether things like snorkeling are a good idea, and how much you can lift / play with your kids.  Choose a surgeon who is a good communicator and you should be just find to understand what parameters are safe to really enjoy that Hawaii holiday.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Vacation after Tummy Tuck

+1

It takes about 6 full weeks without complications to fully recover from tummy tuck surgery. At 6 weeks your incision is back to normal skin strength and usually you are able to return to normal activity. Traveling and going on vacation 4 1/2 weeks after your procedure is a little risky. You would probably be able to travel without any problems but be limited on getting in the water and doing any physical activities. I would consult with your plastic surgeon to discuss the risks to help you to make an informed decision.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Recovery from a tummy tuck

+1

That all sounds fine to me and shouldn't be a problem but please ask your own doctor for advice.  I would say that you will still have some pain when sneezing etc and I personally wouldn't you strain your abs intil you are past 8 weeks postop.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS