Anyone Ever Hated the Post Op Rhinoplasty Look and then Like It Later?

I am in tears and regrets.postops7 days - I saw my nose with cast off... the bridge is way too high and my nose is so HUGE..literally deformed looking. Is this swollen or if this is what it will look like and i should prepare myself go back into ops right away to remove all implants. I cant sleep or eat and I am a sales person who needs her looks to do business. I am day 11 post ops and tomorrow I remove my tape. I no longer look like me, does asian nose job do that?appreciate ur valuable time

Anxiety is common after rhinoplasty

+1

Your concerns are not unusual after rhinoplasty.  It takes time for the swelling to subside.  Be patient.  Share your concerns with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Dr. Pippin

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Initial reaction to rhinoplasty

+1
It is not uncommon for patients to need time to adapt to the new appearance of their faces. The nose will be swollen and this will take time to decrease. You should discuss your feelings with your plastic surgeon who may be able to assure you. So, don't rush to judgment or to do anything now. GIve it a chance and, in several weeks, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Rhinoplasty can result in significant swelling and can obscure a great result. Give yourself several months to heal.

+1

Rhinoplasty can result in significant swelling and can obscure a great result. Give yourself several months to heal. Depending upon the approach the swelling can be significant for weeks to months and you won't see a "final" result for up to one year. Regardless of the type of rhinoplasty you had seven days following surgery is way too soon to assess the result. I understand that you are concerned but what you're seeing as a larger nose is likely edema (swelling). You should see significant reduction over the next 3 months and smaller reductions in swelling up to one year following surgery. It is hard to be patient following facial plastic surgery but it pays off. Give yourself time to heal physically and emotionally.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

With time the nose will change

+1

It is quite a common occurrence to have a small amount of let-down after cosmetic surgery (especially rhinoplasty). While occupying a prominent position on the face the nose should not have any features which draw undue attention to it or draw attention away from other pleasing aspects of the face such as the eyes or lips.  As such, when the nose is recently operated on, the swelling instantly draws one to its size and shape. With time the swelling subsides and the other features of your face taken on a more prominent role. 1 week is way to soon to judge your result. Be patient and realize that most surgeons do not truly critique their results for at least 6 months. In fact, I do not even take pictures until that time becasue the nose changes so much during these first few month after surgery.  I hope this helps you feel more confident and helps with your anxiety. 

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It's not uncommon to be surprised and unhappy with the nose after a Rhinoplasty....during the early post op stages where the nose is swollen and sometimes a bit mis-shapen.  Give yourself a few months for the swelling to go down and reveal the results before second guessing yourself and your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  

Postop Rhinoplasty

+1

You likely have lots of nasal swelling following the cast removal.  Asian Rhinoplasty can be different depending on what was done.  Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Yes, your nose can improve greatly with time!

+1
  • Also, changes which seem drastic to you right now may be hardly noticed by friends or colleagues. Its easy to get self conscious after rhinoplasty if you started out worried about your nose appearance.
  • I suggest you talk openly with your surgeon, give it time, and go out and live life well and fully. In the event you have a long term aesthetic concern with your nose, hopefully your surgeon will be there with you to help address the issues. Best of luck.

Michael Suzman, MD

Not liking look of nose right after rhinoplasty

+1

I would expect your nose to look swollen this early after surgery. Depending what was done this can take many months to evolve.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon as that is who can best reassure you and assess how your nose is healing.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Cover your Mirrors and relax

+1

The nose will change. Take a deep breath and STOP looking at your nose. It should change over time. Also you will get used to it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Nose doesn't look good one week after surgery

+1

This is a time for you to become close with your surgeon.  He or she must know exactly how you feel about the outcome at this time.  You, in turn, must listen to his or her answer.  Swelling will dissipate during the first few weeks after rhinoplasty.  Be patient.  Specific features of your result that you are dissatisfied about should be reviewed one by one, to find out which parts of your result are swelling, and which parts are not.

Steve Laverson, MD