Hate My Nose...check it out.

Have had a strong blow to my nose on the right hand side, causing it to shift to the left hand side. Causing my nose to look asymmetric when viewed from the right (especially) and also from the left (looks better when viewed from left compared to right as nose has shifted). I also have "splinters" of bone protruding out at the top of my nose bridge on the right hand side, causing a bone deformity and generally making my face look inharmonious :( What do you guys think...and is it possible that I can get a NATURAL rhinoplasty? Considering my nose is quite crooked, and pretty out of shape, im assuming my nose would be very hard to reset. The right hand side of my nose has collapsed due to the blow, with the splinter of bone right above the collapsed area. Please Help!

Natural Looking Repair is Possible

+2

Sorry to hear of your injury.

Yes, your nose can be made lots better after an injury.

Your surgeon's comprehensive examination will take into account your concerns and described deformities, as well as a functional evaluation. An injury like the one you describe may have caused a change in the nasal airways that can become worse over time.

Sometimes a nose can be successfully "reset" within a few days to a couple weeks after the injury.  After 2 weeks, there is enough healing or scarring that surgery becomes necessary to repair shifted bones.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Correcting asymmetric and crooked nose due to trauma

+1

When the nose receives a strong glancing blow, it becomes fractured.  Often times the septum is fractured as well creating a deviated septum.  Both will need to be repaired to straighten the nasal and septal fracture.  This is usually done out of medical necessity and may be covered by the patient’s medical insurance.  Any changing of the shape of the nose is considered a rhinoplasty and will not be paid for through medical insurance.  During the rhinoplasty procedure it is possible to remove the hump, adjust and refine the tip, and file down any asymmetries or bone splinters that are present.  This also involves narrowing the nasal bones and refining the tip and the midthird of the nose.  

Septorhinoplasty after Nasal Trauma

+1

You are correct that fixing a crooked nose is one of the most challenging operations we do. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will make specific recommendations after a comprehensive examination. You can expect significant improvement. 

With fractured nasal bones, Rhinoplasty works

+1

You fractured the nasal bones in multiple places and you would require a surgical break to reduce the nasal bridge height and re-align the nasal bones.  For 1 month, after your Rhinoplasty, your nose would be vulnerable to further nasal bone shifts if hit.  There's no reason that you couldn't have a more aesthetically attractive nose after a Rhinoplasty.

Your nose CAN be reconstructed - seek an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your nose CAN be reconstructed - seek an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon. It is impossible to fully evaluate your nose with a single oblique view. Typically with a septorhinoplasty the nasal septum can be straightened and the removed cartilage is used to restructure and re-support the lower 2/3 of the nose to improve breathing. The nasal bones can be cut allowing the nose to be straightened and any bumps or contour irregularities of the nasal bridge can be shaved down as needed.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

NATURAL rhinoplasty

+1

Yes it is possible to get a good rhinoplasty in a situation like yours. The surgery is called septorhinoplasty which is a combination of septal remodeling and correction of bony pyramid deformity. You may require cartilage grafts that is harvested from the septum, ears or rib cartilage. This would address the shape of the nose and should also address the breathing problem if you have it

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Help! Please fix my nose

+1

Dear Malachi, Sorry about your injury but it is fixable.  I don't know how long ago the injury was but after 2 weeks it is extremely difficult to correct by just setting the nose.  After that time we usually wait 3 months before reconstructing the nose.  In all liklihood you probably have a deviated septum as well as a deviated nose.  I use an open technique (small incision under the nose as well as inside) to fix the nose and rebreak the nose to straighten it.  You must be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty to get the best results.  Good luck but rest easy in the fact it certainly can be fixed and many times even better than it was before.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hate My Nose...check it out.

+1

Your nose can't be properly evaluated from this photo.

For best results and assessment  find a very qualified plastic surgeon with penchant for nasal reshaping .

Let him examine your nose and he/she will come up with a surgical plan.

Erel Laufer, MD

You should be able to get a very good result with rhinoplasty.

+1

The picture you provide is not very good for analysis but I don't see anything that would preclude a very good result with a rhinoplasty.  Your nose has good support. The skin does not look to thick and the deformity not especially hard to correct. 

Yes to "natural"

+1
Once the bone has "set" it will require re-breaking in order to place back in the desired location. This, however, is not that different than the procedure for a purely cosmetic rhinoplasty. You should be able to achieve correction if the deformity and a "natural" appearance.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon