Had a BA 3 Years Ago and They Are Too Big. Should I Remove or Replace With Smaller? Just Don't Want Sag.

Hi, I'm 27 years old and 3 years ago I had a BA, silicon implants 390cc in each breast, through the nipples. I don't want them anymore! I feel they are too large and make me look really bulky. What is the best thing to do? Just get them removed? Or go smaller so I don't sag? I'm not interested in a lift, is it ok to remove the implants without a lift and still look nice? will going smaller prevent my breasts looking saggy?

Removing your Breast Implants?

+1

It is very difficult to give you precise advice without an examination and/or viewing some photos.  It will be in your best interest to visit with well experienced plastic surgeons who can examine you and discuss the pro's and con's of exchanging your current implants for smaller ones vs. removing them completely.

Some patients can remove the implants without needing a breast lift while others have excess skin and therefore need breast lifting after removal of the implants.Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed. 

Implant removal

+1

It is difficult to tell how much impact the implants have had on you without photos and an exam. That said, sometimes having the implants causes the native ( your original) breast tissue to atrophy a bit.  Other factors come into play as well, like weight gain/loss, pregnancy, and skin stretch. Since it has only been 3 years, it might be acceptable to remove the implants or downsize without the lift. However, if the above mentioned factors have changed since your original surgery, you might be better served with a lift. Visit a board certified Plastic surgeon for full exam and discussion. Good luck.

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Implant removal

+1

Removing the implants completely may cause some sagging to the breasts.  If you want to go smaller they may be OK. It is best to go for an exam to give a better assessment.

Implant removal

+1

It would be helpful to see a photo of you before your surgery and now.  It is hard to predict how your breast tissue and skin will react after removal.  It depends on the elasticity of your skin, the amount of breast volume that the implant occupies, and how you heal.   The last is somewhat unpredictable.  A consultation with a surgeon would help answer your question better.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon