Does Harsh Nose Blowing Affect Results of Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty 5 months ago (for broken nose). I am very worried because I have been blowing my nose a lot recently, I think its hay fever, my nose and sinuses are v. congested and I always sniff my nose (all day long) and feel like my sinuses are blocked.I am always blowing my nose and only realized I was perhaps harshly blowing my nose : almost too harshly to be honest, and I'm worried the rocking of my nose whilst blowing it may affect my results? I heard it takes 1 year to heal fully?

Nasal Obstruction After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Charob,

At this point after your rhinoplasty you should have your nose examined to find out the reason for your nasal congestion.  Unfortunately, many times after rhinoplasty the nasal airway can be compromised if the rhinoplasty surgeon did not account for the nasal septum, nasal valves, or nasal turbinates.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Nose blowing affect rhinoplasty

+2

At five months your bones are set enough that you shouldn't cause any problem. Never the less get some help for your allergies. It,s not good to always be blowing and congested.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose bl;owing

+2

I tell my patients to avoid blowing their nose for several weeks after surgery. If yournose is stable and well past your surgery date, I doubt blowing your nose would be harmful

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Nose blowing affect rhinoplasty results?

+2

Any bone fractures made during your surgery should be healed after about 6 weeks. Not know what else was done during your surgery makes it hard to say if frequent nose blowing would affect anything else.

I would suggest checking in with your surgeon to have your nose examined to see how it is healing.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nose blowing after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Charob. Thank you for your question. Nose blowing should be avoided for a few weeks following surgery. In general, by 5 months, healing is sufficient to withstand even forceful noseblowing. Consider seeking advice from your doctor about the causes of your nasal symptoms and how they may be better controlled. Good luck. 

James M. Pearson, MD

+1

I tell my Rhinoplasty patients to avoid blowing the nose for 6 months post op, but at 5 months the nose is most likely healed well enough that it should not effect the final results.

Nasal trauma following rhinoplasty

+1
I think that you are pretty safe from dislodging bone or cartilage or changing the  eventual outcome of your rhinoplasty with vigorous nose blowing.  I think that gentle nose blowing is probably safer in the long run as you can create small tears in the nasal mucous membrane which can lead to bleeding.  I would discuss your nasal issues with your surgeon as they may suggest a nasal steroid spray or nasal antihistamine to help treat the cause of your nasal drainage and intermittent congestion.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon