5ft2, 185lbs, age 27: Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

I weigh about 185, I am 5-2, I am 27. I have burn scars, surgery scars, and hanging skin will a tummy tuck help this?

Tummy Tuck with Existing Scars and Overweight

+1

Consultation Before A TT

Without photos and without an examination, it is hard to determine

your eligibility for a tummy tuck, but I would recommend that you lose some weight and wait

until it stabilizes before considering a tummy tuck for the best results. Regarding your

scars - it all depends on their location, cause and extent.

If you have reached a plateau in your weight loss, then a tummy tuck would

be alright, but the results would not turn out as well. For the best results, consult a board-

certified plastic surgeon..

Consult a plastic surgeon for evaluation for your Tummy Tuck.

+1

Thank you for your question is difficult without a photograph to comment. However with the scars that you mention and with a total body weight of 185 pounds I would guess that you need to lose significant weight before considering surgery. Tummy Tuck results are always better if you are close to your ideal weight.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and experienced.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

A physical exam is needed to make any recommendations.  A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result.

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:
Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better.

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure.
Best wishes!
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck

+1

As always, an aesthetic operation should be planned to have the best possible result, and should be carried out with safety in mind.

Ideally, we like to do TT's on a patient as close as possible to ideal body weight. With BMI's above 30 (yours is 33.8) the outcomes are less satisfactory, and the risks of major complications are escalating. To get to a BMI of 30, you would need to get weight down to 164 lb. 

As to the scars, depending upon where they are, they could interfere with the standard TT techniques. Without photos, I can't say much in addition. An in person evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon is the best way to review the pros and cons.

All the best. 

Tummy Tuck

+1

A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty can be designed to remove small, moderate or large amounts of excess skin and fat depending on the patient. Abdominal muscles can also be tightened. Burn scars and surgery scars on the abdomen can be an issue. It is recommended that you be close to your ideal body weight prior to tummy tuck as weight loss after the procedure will result in loose hanging abdominal skin. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

While an examination is required for a definitive answer, the likelihood is you are a candidate.  It is possible that the scars might be removed with the resected tissue and leave you with a smooth improved abdomen.  Make sure you look at before and after pictures of the surgeon's work.  This is an art and not all belly buttons and contours look the same.  Choose a surgeon that clearly understands and can meet your expectations.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Being a candidate, having burn scars on the abdomen

+1

An indiviual who has lost weight or has hanging skin in the abdomen , wether covering pubic areas and groins in sitting position or not, may be a candidate for abdominoplasty. If there are scars on the lower part of the abdomen, all or par of scars could be included in the specimen removed from lowest part of the abdomen. However if these scars are horizontally oriented,the operating  plastic surgeon has to take this into consideration when he is designing the surgical incision.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

Without a picture it is hard to say. The best advice I have is to visit a board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Look at your BMI

+1

With no photos to look at a BMI  of about 33 makes you a poor candidate for a tummy tuck. Go on a diet and get down below150 lbs and you should be a good candidate. Next time post photos.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck

+1

Without a photograph or an exam, it is hard to answer your question.In my past experience, the main reason for this procedure is the excess skin in the lower abdomen. Additional liposuction does help. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. This where you should start. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon