Is It Harmful to Wear a Compression Garment for an Extended Period of Time After a Tummy Tuck?

I am 18 weeks out, and I wear the garment during the day for comfort and to reduce swelling. I don't have much swelling without it but I do have some. I don't care for the Spanx type, they aren't as comfortable. I have some swelling in my mons pubis (at least it is bigger than I care for), and I was wondering if the compression garment may have contributed to that. When I stop wearing the garment, do I still have to wean off of it? Thank you!

Prolonged garment wearing after tummy tuck

+3

I tell my patients the more you wear the garment the faster your swelling will come down and the happier you will be with your result.  One side effect however is that it can push swelling into the mons.  If this is bothering you, I recommend you stop the garment.  You do not have to wean off it.

Compression Garment 18 Weeks after Tummy Tuck

+2

I doubt the garment is of any help at this time. If you are wearing it too tight, it may contribute to swelling in the mons below the garment.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after TT

+1

Glad to hear your TT went smoothly.

Most of the benefit from compression is in the first 4-6 weeks.  After that, it's really very much up to the patient.  Some people like the support they get from a compression garment.  But at this point, you may stop it any time, and you don't need to wean yourself off it gradually.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Garment after a tummy tuck helps

+1

Wearing a garment after a tummy tuck is helpful initially but now at 18 weeks it is not essential.  You can wear it and it won't cause any harm.  The mons pubis swelling could be swelling, or it may simply be that after your tummy tuck it is not relatively speaking 'swollen' when in fact it is the same as it was before but the belly is smaller.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Is it harmful to wear a compression garment for an extended period of time after a tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Many women choose to wear their compression garment for extended periods of time after having a tummy tuck.  Patients tend to feel more comfortable when the garment is on.  Wearing the compression garment should not cause you any problems.  You may find that areas that are not compressed by the garment, such as the mons pubis region and legs, may show a slight increase in swelling.  When the garment is discontinued, the areas with greater swelling will decrease.  You may also notice a slight increase in the amount of swelling in the areas that were previously compressed for a short period.  Weaning the use of the compression garment will minimize the slight increase in this swelling but is not necessary.  Your body will eliminate the additional swelling when the healing is complete.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes!

William J. Vinyard, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a compression garment for an extended period

+1

Hello. Wearing a garment for extended periods should not be harmful. When you decide to discontinue use of the garment, no weaning is needed. The swelling in your mons pubis may be due to not having liposuction done in that area. If the mons does not get liposuction a tummy tuck can make it look large by comparison. Discuss this issue with your surgeon.

Jaime Perez, MD
Tummy Tuck Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Extended Wear Of Compression Garment After Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. Many patients become used to wearing the compression garment and feel more comfortable with it on than off. There is no reason to suspect that wearing the garment for an extended period of time will harm you or your results in any way, the mons included. Once you decide to discontinue the garment no weaning is necessary. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Compression garment after Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no reason why you should not wear the compression garment for an extended period of time after surgery. Discuss the mons issue with your surgeon at your next visit. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Is It Harmful to Wear a Compression Garment for an Extended Period of Time

+1

I see no problem. Many patients wear them for far longer than the minimum recommended period as they feel more comfortable. I doubt that there is any relationship with he size of the mons, but do review that with your surgeon at your next visit. 

Thanks, all the best.