Harmful to Apply Latisse Drops in Each Eye for Longer Lashes?

My doctor has told me to apply a drop in each eye for longer lashes. Can this be harmful?

Poor advice

+1

Hi there-

You would be well advised to seek further aesthetic care elsewhere.... Anyone who told you to put Latissed in your eyes should not be allowed to prescribe the product...

Do not apply Latisse directly into the eye

+1

Your "doctor" is a quack.  Do not apply Latisse directly into your eye.  Rather, apply it to the base of the upper eyelashes only, one drop per eyelash per evening.  You will begin to see noticeable growth in 4-6 weeks.

If used in the eye, you will have a much higher incidence of side effects.  Find a new Latisse doctor in your area by searching realself.com.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Absolutely do not put Latisse directly into the eye

+1

I am very surprised to read that a doctor has told you to put the drop of Latisse directly into your eye.  The benefit of using Latisse for longer lashes was discovered as a pleasant side effect for patients who were being treated for glaucoma using this same solution.  Please refer to the instructions and any information that came with your kit of Latisse that discusses any side effects of using Latisse long-term and risks associated with applying directly into your eye.

Only apply Latisse to the upper lash line with the applicator brush that was part of your Latisse kit.   

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Latisse

+1

Find a board certified physician in the field of cosmetic surgery,  Your physician is ignorant in this field.

Latisse should not be used as drops in the eye. Find another reputable doctor

Latisse should be sparingly applied to the eyelash junction with the lid NOT into the eye

+1

It sounds like you need to pick another doctor since your doctor has advised you poorly. Latisse is specifically supposed to be placed carefully along the lower lid and lash origin at night time. It is NOT supposed to be placed on the eye. Such placement may be associated with irritation and eye color changes which plagued Latisse's parent drug, the glaucoma medication LUMIGAN.

Use Latisse sparingly for longer, thicker, darker lashes

+1

When used according to the package insert, the most impressive growth in length, thickness, and darkening of lashes is seen between 8 to 16 weeks according to a randomized, multicenter study.  This is applied sparingly, with supplied brushes, to the base of the lashes on the upper lid only and not directly into the eye itself.  Adverse events such as iris color change, pigmentation of eyelid skin, itching or irritation of the eye occurred less than 4%.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Latiisse as an eyedrop

+1

You should avoid application of Latisse to the eye itself. Although initially used as an eye medication, it's long term effect on patients who do not have glaucoma is not clear. In any event, it does have the potential to change your eye color (very unlikely) but application into the eye itself increases the likelihood.

Latisse Application

+1

Latisse is actually a glaucoma medication that lowers the intraocular prssure of the eye.  Its effects on eyelash growth were a side effect seen in glaucoma patients.  Because of this, the medication was re-marketed for eyelash growth, but should really not be put on the eye itself.  It will no cause any harm if a little gets on the eye every now and then, but if you do not have glaucoma, I would apply it to the upper lashes at night as directed in the packaging.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Latisse should not be used in the eye for eyelash growth

+1

Latisse should not be used in the eye if you are using it for eyelash growth only. The risks of described complications is much greater with in-the-eye use and is absolutely not necessary to stimulate eyelash growth.

Paint it on your eyelid only and do not put in your eyes, please.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon