What Harm Am I Causing by Lifting Heavy Items After Breast Reduction?

Breast reduction post op 1wk 4 days. Instructed by MD not to lift 5lbs or greater for 6 wks. I've ready made a habit in picking & pulling items 5lbs or greater. I feel like I'm developing muscles/pecs. Is it possible that I am forming muscles? What other damage am I causing by lifting heavy items?

No lifting just yet

+1

Congrats on your surgery. The lifting restrictions are to avoid developing a hematoma and to not stress the incisions as they are healing. There isn't any muscle work done in the reduction so your muscles aren't affected. Best of Luck!

Exertional activity after a breast augmentation

+1

The main reason to avoid heavy lifting during the early post-op period is to avoid developing a hematoma. 

Heavy Lifting after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The concern about heavy lifting is not that of “developing muscles”. Rather, your plastic surgeon is probably concerned about the potential for bleeding, fluid accumulation, and/or disruption of suture lines.

I would suggest that you “take it easy” when it comes to your activity levels  and continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.