Hardness on Lower Abdomen 4 Weeks After Tummy Tuck. Is This Normal?

My lower abdomen feels very hard and heavy, however this does not happen everyday. Is this a normal healing process? Should I massage the area ? Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Discuss Hardness of The Abdomen Following Tummy-Tuck With Your Plastic Surgeon

+2

Swelling and firmness can be very normal 4 weeks following a tummy-tuck, especially if accompanied by liposuction. As you become more active, the muscles which were repaired during surgery can respond by feeling achy, sore, and tight. Support garments are helpful. Massage will help both the swelling and tightness. Close follow-up with physical examination with your Plastic Surgeon is essential to make sure that it is nothing more serious. Communication with your Plastic Surgeon and Nursing Staff as to what is normal and to be expected is key to a successful outcome.  Best of luck. Dr. Lyos

Hardness Lower Abdomen after Tummy Tuck?

+2

The firmness that you describe is very likely related to swelling and/or scar tissue. However, in-person examination will be necessary to rule out concerns such as seroma. Therefore,I would suggest close follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Hello

+2

Felling hardness 4 weeks post-surgery it can be scar tissue. You should talk to you PS to get the accurate advice. Without an exam it’s hard to really give you adequate advice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Hardness on Lower Abdomen 4 Weeks After Tummy Tuck.

+1

This is best evaluated with a physical exam. It probably is "normal." But a chat or visit to your surgeon is the best approach to determine what this is and whether you need any intervention. 

Massage certainly won't hurt in the interim. Thanks for your question, and best wishes.