Hardness in Larger CC Implant is This Normal? (photo)

I had a breast augmentation (saline) and a donut mastopexy done one week ago.. They had to scrape room for the implants and said they put what they could fit. My right is 330 CC and my left is at 390 CC. My left implant is considerably harder and is more bothersome (very tender and achy), as for the right it has softened and barely hurts... Should I be concerned?

Hardness in breast with larger implant

+2

Presumably the side with larger implant was smaller and therefore with a larger implant it is probably stretching more.  This may cause discomfort. Other causes include hematoma, and without an exam it is hard to say.

What is normal and what to expect (hard breast after surgery)

+2
In any patient who says their breast feels "hard" after implant surgery, I am always concerned about hematoma (early postoperative period) and contracture. A hard breast is always a reason to be seen immediately by your surgeon.

Overall, I find that one of the most important parts of preparing my patients for surgery is telling them what to expect afterwards. I am glad to see that you have posted your question, because that means other patients can get an idea of what things might happen after a breast surgery, and because you can get multiple opinions from my expert colleagues. This is a good thing about the internet age. On the other hand, I feel that any patient of mine in the early postoperative period should (and does) have access to real answers from me, which includes a physical exam. 

There are several important things I tell all my patients before surgery; I continue to remind them afterwards. This is what they are:
1. One breast will always feel bigger/higher/more tender/more full than the other. This is normal.
2. Both breasts will be tender, perhaps one more than the other. This is normal.
3. Your new breasts will not feel natural right away (they will drop) and usually one seems different than the other. 
4. It will be several months before everything feels normal to you, but I am here to tell you when things are going as planned and when to be concerned.
5. If a breast us particularly painful, hard, immobile, or there is a sudden change, I would like to see you right away to make sure everything is progressing smoothly.

Most of the time it is normal to have one breast feel different than the other. And most of the time it is normal to have pain or feel a bit more firm than what you expect for your final result. In all of these cases I examine my patients, then reassure them that things are coming along fine, and since I told them what to look for, they aren't surprised. That said, there are some patients who form aggressive, early scars (contracture) or have a collection of blood or fluid (hematoma/seroma.) Usually I know when this is happening just by talking on the phone, but ultimately it is my physical exam that enables me to say, "You are doing fine," or "I'm concerned, this is the plan..."
So, as a final answer to your question, be a little concerned; you just had surgery. See your surgeon; she or he will be able to tell you if what you are feeling is something that needs a change of plan. Any breast that is "hard" should be looked at right away, even if it means just getting some reassurance.

Most Sincerely,
Dr. Persons

Barbara Persons, MD, FACS
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Hardness in Larger CC Implant is This Normal?

+1

I am not sure which things on your list concern you. The fact that the implants feel somewhat different, and that one hurts more than the other are common, although that doesn't necessarily mean that there is not a problem.

As to the implants used, were these the planned sizes at your pre-op? Was one breast larger than the other, resulting in use of different sized implants?

For useful reassurance it is best to call your surgeon who knows you, knows what was done, and is monitoring your recovery. 

All the best. 

+1

YES! There seems too be red areas in your breast. Best to see your surgeon in a timely manner for evaluation.