Hardness After Facelift?

I am concerned about the "ropey" feeling on the side of my neck, and hard ridges on the sides of my face, and the severe hardness, not sure if it's just swelling as I had my facelift surgery 12 days ago. If it's swelling, I will just give it more time as this seems to be a slow process. My expectations were so much different from the reality, and I am of course worried, which doesn't help.

Healing during Facelift

+2

This can be normal after facelift.  These areas require patience and massage before resolution will occur.  You are just 12 days into your recovery.  Time heals all wounds.

Dr. ES

Healing after a facelift

+2

At 12 days, your healing is within the spectrum of normal. I usually tell my patients that you will be 'restaurant ready' or appear 'presentable' after 7-10 days , however, the numbess, bumpiness and hardness after the procedure varies from patient to patient depending on the skin quality and extent of procedure performed and that can take from 2-6m to completely dissipate.

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Swelling after surgery

+1

Your description can be very normal after a face lift.  These are areas of inflammation where increased blood flow and swelling can make the area more firm than the surrounding tissue.  This will almost definitely subside in the coming weeks.  As I've said many times- patience is the most difficult part of surgery!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Hard Ridges on Side of Face and Neck 12 Days after Facelift

+1

Hardness as well as lumps are normal at 12 days following a face and neck lift.  The hardness may take 3 to 6 months to soften, but most of the swelling is gone by 2 to 6 weeks, depending upon what was done and how it was done.

Hardness after facelift

+1

12 days is still very soon after your surgery, and you will be experiencing swelling and tightness at this time. It can take some time before the side effects resolve, and it is important to be patient during the healing process. In the meantime, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any concerns, and seeing him or her for a follow-up if necessary. Thank you, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Is Firmness in the Neck Normal After Facelift?

+1

Yes, this is totally normal 12 days after a face and necklift. This will improve with time as swelling diminishes and your healing progresses. What you describe is totally normal at this point in your recovery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial and neck tissue swelling is common after facelift procedures

+1

The firmness and tissue ridging that you describe is common after face and neck lift procedures. It will take several months for the tissues to return to a normal, soft and pliable state. Massage along the regions of concern is effective, as is external ultrasound therapy.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Hardness After Facelift

+1

To clarify, I am a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic procedures, including all newer aspects of the short scar procedures.  I'm also a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am board certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I am also an active member of the American College of Surgeons.

After many patients receive this type of procedure, they begin to have their doubts and concerns when the healing process begins. Following the procedure, you will feel swelling, stiffness and numbness. The hard areas on the face will eventually fade away within time by applying ice packs and massaging the area thoroughly. A few weeks after your procedure you will begin feeling yourself again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696. We would also be happy to mail you some additional information and brochures. In case you have not done so yet, please check out our website at prplastic.com for a wealth of additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.

Thanks for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

I would not worry at this point, it is OK to have lumpiness 2 weeks after facelift

+1

Given that it is still quite early in your recovery, I would not worry.  Contour irregularities (lumps, bumps, ridges, depressions) are pretty common after facelifts and may persist for a couple months.  They will likely diminsh steadily and eventually go away.  In our practice we combine home massage and in office ultra-sound to help speed the process along.  Best of luck!

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ridges post face

+1

This is normal.since you are only 12 days post op just give it soem more time.Gentle massage and heat may help it resolve more quickly.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon